Why do you need my address?

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
johnd126

Why do you need my address?

Post by johnd126 »

I was about to purchase the upgrade licences for version 3.

I am going to pay using Paypal but the Address line in the form is mandatory. Why do you need my address?

I really don't like to give out personal info that isn't required.

Thanks
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Re: Why do you need my address?

Post by Jan Rysavy »

We have switched from SWREG to PayPal for credit card payments processing and now we are issuing invoices at ALTAP. We are also preparing direct credit card payment gateway with https://www.paymill.com where we will also issue invoices ourselves. This is one reason why we are asking for your address. Another reason is your registration key for Salamander. Don't worry about misusing your data, we are here from 1999 and we HATE spam.

We will contact our accountants regarding your request and will let you know on your email.
johnd126

Post by johnd126 »

Jan Rysavy wrote:We have switched from SWREG to PayPal for credit card payments processing and now we are issuing invoices at ALTAP. We are also preparing direct credit card payment gateway with https://www.paymill.com where we will also issue invoices ourselves. This is one reason why we are asking for your address. Another reason is your registration key for Salamander. Don't worry about misusing your data, we are here from 1999 and we HATE spam.

We will contact our accountants regarding your request and will let you know on your email.
I'm not so much worried about spam as I am just handing out information for no good reason. And all your good intentions won't help if the payment processing system gets hacked. ;) The less information out there the better in general.

I don't require an invoice and PayPal doesn't require an address so could you make the address (and anything else except the very basics) optional?
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

It would be probably possible for small orders (according to Czech accounting standards), but we don't plan to support this option for now because of small demand and required time to implement it. I'm sorry.
johnd126

Post by johnd126 »

Jan Rysavy wrote:It would be probably possible for small orders (according to Czech accounting standards), but we don't plan to support this option for now because of small demand and required time to implement it. I'm sorry.
I'm going to pass on upgrading for the time being. 2.5 is working well enough and I really am striving to not share unnecessary information.
MartinS

Post by MartinS »

johnd126 wrote:I'm going to pass on upgrading for the time being. 2.5 is working well enough and I really am striving to not share unnecessary information.
I don't get it. If the address field is mandatory and you don't want to share your real address, just put there some random address and everyone will be happy...
johnd126

Post by johnd126 »

MartinS wrote:
johnd126 wrote:I'm going to pass on upgrading for the time being. 2.5 is working well enough and I really am striving to not share unnecessary information.
I don't get it. If the address field is mandatory and you don't want to share your real address, just put there some random address and everyone will be happy...
Yes, I've done that quite often (1 Main St. is my second home) but I'm really trying to encourage sites to request less info by default.
jcgriff2

Post by jcgriff2 »

johnd126 wrote:
I'm going to pass on upgrading for the time being. 2.5 is working well enough and I really am striving to not share unnecessary information.

.. but I'm really trying to encourage sites to request less info by default.
Not in your job description!

In the meantime, you are missing out on the version 3 upgrade by not purchasing because of address.
J. C. Griffith
Microsoft MVP
Windows Expert - IT Pro
http://mvp.microsoft.com/en-us/mvp/John%20C.%20Griffith-4025562