long file name support in searches

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
rollhigh

long file name support in searches

Post by rollhigh »

Hi Jan

please see below:
as1.PNG
as1.PNG (25.56 KiB) Viewed 5625 times
as2.PNG
as2.PNG (53 KiB) Viewed 5625 times
Characters in one of the affected paths was approx 270 (including the file name).

actual file name is 100 characters.

AS 3.0 final version 64bit

Thanks
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Re: long file name support in searches

Post by Jan Rysavy »

AS 3.0 doesn't support such long paths because there are several problems with Win32 API and such paths are simply not supported enough. Rename / simplify your directory structure.
therube

Post by therube »

enough
Enough, being that the API's are trash?
Or enough, that "people" don't typically use such long paths?

Because I certainly run into long path issues "enough" ;-).
(Though not from searches as I typically use Everything for searching. But certainly when attempting to access, move files. Suppose most typical reasons for me for such long paths are from extracting archives that are that way, or from saving files, when I may have my download manager set to recreate directory structure locally when saving files.)

Naming Files, Paths, and Namespaces
WinXP Pro SP3 or Win7 x86 | SS 2.54
Petr Solin
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Petr Solin »

We have thought about adding support for extended-length paths (maximum total path length of 32,767 characters) some time ago. All these paths must be prefixed with "\\?\" when passing to Windows API. But we have found out that most of applications and also Windows API calls does not support it, so we have decide not to support it too. I think that neither Windows Explorer support these paths. Maybe we should add some support for them to allow shortening of such paths which is the only reasonable thing to do with them if you don't want to run into troubles.
SelfMan

Post by SelfMan »

Peter you have my +1 from my side