Search/Find results with Salamander menus/features

We welcome any suggestions for new features or improvements in Altap Salamander. Please post one suggestion per report.
altap4ever

Search/Find results with Salamander menus/features

Post by altap4ever »

Hello,

It would be nice if it was possible to access/use the salamander functions on search results.

eg:
CTRL-F2 in Salamander access the Change Attributes functions
Whish CTRL-F2 in the Find window would popup the change Attribute functions and apply it to the selection in the Find window.
or Include the same/applicable Salamander menus in find -> for the example above - Files/Change Attributes
in this line of thoughts, leave it all like Salamander menus and just replace "left" and "right" by "selected files".

That's it. Nothing new... Just expanding existing functions to Find results.
SvA

Re: Search/Find results with Salamander menus/features

Post by SvA »

There are other things I miss in the find window (actually mainly it's result panel). And then there is yet another feature, I got to know and love in XTree, a tree based file manager in DOS (and, yes, I mean the OS, not just a console window), called flat view: All files from a directory and all it's subdirectories shown in a single united list.
My proposed solution, therefore, would be to simlpy allow to commit the search results to an ordinary panel in the main windows with just an added column for the path.
Rearranging files and many other tasks would become so much easier...

Some of the things I miss most, btw. are
  • the ability to sort by extension
  • the ability to copy/move files
  • the ability to mark files the same way as in the main panels, rather than the ordinary Windows way with the ubiquitous threat of loosing all your carefully set marks with one accidental click
  • the ability to save and restore search results (or even better a "back" functionality), so that I can do subsearches within previous search results and then later come back to the previous search to do another subsearch
  • support for iFilters (the file content filters used by Microsoft's indexing service and others)
altap4ever

Post by altap4ever »

SvA wrote: [*]the ability to copy/move files
Thanks for your comment.
And it actually leads to an f-beep-ing cool idea.

Why not having the option to get the search results in one of Salamander's LEFT-RIGHT panel instead of a separate window?
That would solve a lot of GUI development and address some of your needs too.

I know it's only a small consolation but you can copy and move files from the Find results.
SvA

Post by SvA »

altap4ever wrote:Why not having the option to get the search results in one of Salamander's LEFT-RIGHT panel instead of a separate window?
That's exactly what I intended to say writing
SvA wrote:My proposed solution, therefore, would be to simlpy allow to commit the search results to an ordinary panel in the main windows with just an added column for the path.
altap4ever wrote: I know it's only a small consolation but you can copy and move files from the Find results.
Well, you can cut/copy 'n' past and drag'n'drop, but you cannot F5/F6 (the Salamander way). There are reasons I use Salamander and not Explorer or some other explorer-like file manager.