SalPVEnv.exe crash on invalid imagefiles

Try the latest development release to test new features and bug fixes even before beta version release. Please use this section to discuss features and problems of this Preview Build version.
Forum rules
Please read forum rules and a few additional rules for this section:
1. Please take into account that Preview Build versions of Salamander and plugins could contain serious bugs. Don't use them in production environments.
2. All problems or comments regarding Preview Build versions please insert into this section of forum.
3. Each new topic mark with PB abbreviation and Preview Build number, for example "PB22: inactive panel below mouse cursor doesn't scroll while mouse wheel tilting".
xm

SalPVEnv.exe crash on invalid imagefiles

Post by xm »

to reproduce:

- create an invalid imagefile (e.g. rename any *.txt file to a *.bmp one)
- F3 to invoke PictView -> PictView error msg "Could not open..."
- close the errormsg dlg -> crash in envelope for 32-bit PVW32Cnv.dll (access violation at 401bb2, mov edx,dptr[ecx], ecx is 0 here)

callstack:
salpvenv+0x1bb2
salpvenv+0x26ee
KERNELBASE!OpenEventA+0x44
salpvenv+0x1853
salpvenv+0x5057

My PC:
Win7 Ent x64 Eng
Salamander 3.0b1 PB87
Ether

Re: SalPVEnv.exe crash on invalid imagefiles

Post by Ether »

I can confirm this behavior up to the second bullet (i.e. "create an invalid imagefile", "F3 to invoke PictView", "PictView error msg"), but I didn't see any crash. My PictView just froze. (It's completely possible that the crash happened, but Windows decided to hide it from me.)

Win7x64 HP, Salamander x64 PB87
Ελληνικά rulez.
xm

Post by xm »

When I close the crash-dlg, the PictView window remains open but not frozen. I can click inside or close it. But when I try to open another imagefile I get PictView error msgbox: "Could not open file ...: Could not load PictView process."
Jan Patera
Plugin Developer
Plugin Developer

Post by Jan Patera »

xm wrote:- create an invalid imagefile (e.g. rename any *.txt file to a *.bmp one)
- F3 to invoke PictView -> PictView error msg "Could not open..."
Indeed, there was a problem when a non-image file was provided to PictView64. It has been fixed for the next release/build.