Renaming a new folder before creating it??

We welcome any suggestions for new features or improvements in Altap Salamander. Please post one suggestion per report.
Silhouettexx

Renaming a new folder before creating it??

Post by Silhouettexx »

Is there a way that the create a new folder option could be changed to show the folder pane still open so the new folder could be renamed before creating it? At present when you create a new folder Salamander automatically creates it named "New Folder". Unless there is another way that I haven't discovered yet, it is necessary to right click on the newly created folder to rename it. It would be so nice if the new folder pane would remain open just in case you wanted to rename it before it is created. I know that this is probably not that big of a deal but it sure would be nice if it could be implemented into Altap Salamander.
For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Romans 6:23
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Re: Renaming a new folder before creating it??

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Are you looking for the same behavior as Windows Explorer? Create a new directory using right-click > New > Folder, then put Salamander into the "in place" rename mode?

Note: do you know the F7 shortcut? It is even better / faster comparing to Windows Explorer method. You can choose the directory name before it is created.
Silhouettexx

Post by Silhouettexx »

The F7 key does do exactly what I'm asking for with the keyboard, but I'm more of a mouse person, please explain to me the "put Salamander into the "in place" mode"??
For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

You can click the focused name.

We should implement the Explorer behavior.
Silhouettexx

Post by Silhouettexx »

Thanks so much for all your help.

SvA

Post by SvA »

For mouse people, the Salamander (F7) way of creating a new folder is available in the main menu, the middle toolbar and the lower function bar.

to Altap: why do it the explorer way? Rather do it the Salamander way, even when initiated from the context menu.
Silhouettexx

Post by Silhouettexx »

Thanks for the post Sva but I was seeking a way for lazy folks that right mouse click in the open Salamander pane when creating a new folder. Instead of it going ahead and creating the folder with the default "new Folder", it would be nice if Salamander would keep the new folder pane open just in case it needs editing or renaming.

SvA

Post by SvA »

Silhouettexx wrote:... it would be nice if Salamander would keep the new folder pane open just in case it needs editing or renaming.
I don't exactly understand what you refer to when you say "new folder pane" or what "editing" that pane or the folder would be (other than giving that folder it's intended name and open that folder in the pane. These two tasks must be simple and efficient to do in this situation and that's exactly what I meant to say when I wrote
SvA wrote:Rather do it the Salamander way, even when initiated from the context menu.
: don't create the folder with a default name but let the user specify the name first. Explorer creates the folder with the default name, then switches to in-place rename mode. But why create the folder first, then rename it. It makes much more sense to create the folder when the program knows the name (under rare circumstances it might even be possible that you do not have the right to rename the folder after you created it). "The Salamander way" is, as Jan said, the F7 shortcut. That's where Salamander is coming from: being a dual pane file manager patterned after Norton Commander, a DOS console application with no mouse support at all. (I don't mean to say Salamander should not support the mouse, but it should attempt to do things better than explorer, or otherwise it becomes obsolete).
When the name is given, the folder is created and becomes the active entry in the pane. Pressing enter takes you there. Nothing simpler than that.

And in my opinion, if you don't learn to use the keyboard to work with Salamander, you forfeit most of it's power, speed and efficiency.
Silhouettexx

Post by Silhouettexx »

I would argue the keyboard comment, just my opinion, I really like my mouse. I do find Salamander to be very useful, in the olden days I did use Norton Commander so I am somewhat used to way Salamander works. I guess that PowerDesk Pro has spoiled me, this was just an idea, thanks for all the replies.

Hometux

Post by Hometux »

Hello together,

I know, this is a two year old discussion about creating new folders (by using a mouse instead of F7).

Someone suggest create a folder like Windows (7) way:
- Right click into left or right drive panel -> new -> folder = immediately create a folder named "New Folder" and set the focus directly to the edit mode
- it it possible to straight enter the new name you want -> enter = finished

Another one suggest create a folder like Salamanders way:
- Right click into left or right drive panel -> new -> folder = open the "create Directory" window -> enter a name you want -> ok (enter)
- Salamander create directly the "own named new folder" = finished

But after two years no solution to get a better work flow are implemented yet?

Yes I know the good old DOS days and Norton Commander and many years ago, I'm also use the F-keys to operate.
But today we are habitual to use the mouse for many years, we had always a hand on it. :wink:

For me one of the functions above would be nice too, but at the moment, it disrupt the work flow, because it is required to clicking separately on the already created "new folder" to rename it usually to a name with sense. :(
It happened every time I create a new folder with Salamander, that come a mucker when I'm directly go typing and Salamander jump in order the typed letters to other files. :roll:
Sadly I'm working with to many (business) Windows (7) computers without a Salamander Installation/License, so it is gone into my blood to create a new folder by right click, also when I'm using Salamander at home.

Please implement one of the suggestions above, typing into the air makes me angry. :oops:

Anyway Salamander is a good tool to manage files between different locations. :D
Regards from Germany
Frank