AS 2.55 - when?

This is a place for users to discuss Altap Salamander. Please feel free to ask, answer questions, and express your opinion. Please do not post problems, bug reports or feature requests here.
LuP

AS 2.55 - when?

Post by LuP »

Hello,

when the next version - AS 2.55 - will be released, at least as beta/RC?

TIA.

LuP
Wizzard

Re: AS 2.55 - when?

Post by Wizzard »

It seems that never :mrgreen:
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Yes, we will release EAP version soon. Both x86 and x64.
I cannot give you exact date, but we are already working with x64 version.
LuP

Post by LuP »

Thanks for the answer.

How "soon" is soon? - Could you estimate?

Do you tend/prefer to release both x86 and x64 verions at the same moment?

- They are users working on either 32b or 64b systems and IMHO the are not so much interested in the other version.

Wouldn't it better to release e.g. 32b version independently (i.e. ASAP) on the 64b one and vice-versa?

LuP
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

I'm unable to estimate exact time, I'm sorry. We will release it ASAP - we are still fixing x64 problems and problems related to switch from Visual C++ 6.0 to 2008/2010. These problems are common to both x86 and x64 versions.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Altap Salamander x64 & Windows 8
Attachments
as_x64_win8.png
as_x64_win8.png (170.5 KiB) Viewed 20917 times
LuP

Post by LuP »

Thx for the screenshots - this makes users believe AS is still being developed and next version is about to come... ;-)

LuP
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

We are looking to release EAP version of AS 3.0 (both x64 and x86 versions) during next week. We will offer discount to all AS 2.x users. If you purchased Altap Salamander recently (we will specify it exactly), you will receive 3.0 upgrade free of charge. All EDU license users (schools) will receive 3.0 upgrade free of charge.
vld

Post by vld »

Jan Rysavy wrote:We will offer discount to all AS 2.x users. If you purchased Altap Salamander recently (we will specify it exactly), you will receive 3.0 upgrade free of charge. All EDU license users (schools) will receive 3.0 upgrade free of charge.

That is really horseshit. Don't say Micro$hit does that also with their upgrades since they upgrade on a timely schedule. You are behind the times on x64 and W7 and now you throw us a bone and tell us to pay for it. Total Commander looks much better now.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Yes, we really need resources for further Altap Salamander development. We didn't ask for upgrade payments for 10+ years (release of version 2.0).
LuP

Post by LuP »

It's clear development requires resources.
I wouldn't surprised even if the upgrade would require any payment (of course, better price when upgrading compared to when you buy newly).
Each development has its price.
Further development for no fee = why any development?
What should the developers live from?
vld

Post by vld »

Jan Rysavy wrote:Yes, we really need resources for further Altap Salamander development. We didn't ask for upgrade payments for 10+ years (release of version 2.0).
And what have you Developed in 18months since the release of 2.54? Now you are putting 3.x into ßeta and it will be in ßeta for a year. So you really won't have a release for almost 3yrs from the last release. That is not Development...sorry. You kept preaching of a non-existant/followed Roadmap and you aren't even up to par with Windows 7 and x64 where other vendors have passed you up.....and please don't say that 2.54 is stable. Like I said. Total Commander looks good about now. I think I've been stroked enough with your release BS. :evil:

If you EVER release 3.0, I may try it. For now it's time to begin the conversion process to another File Manager.

Adios
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

I'm sorry, but it is total nonsense. We switched from Visual C++ 6.0 to Visual C++ 2008/2010/11, with several translators introduced new languages, supported x64 version, implemented a new bug reporting system with support for minidumps, etc.

Final version 3.0 will be released soon, we just need to polish it during EAP/beta stage.

Enjoy current Total Commander 8.0 beta 23 ;-)
freex

Post by freex »

I'm not interested in changes planned for Salamander 3.0, but i would like to pay to support further development - especially UAC and unicode support. Can you guarantee that upgrade to future version offering these features will be free for Salamander 3.0 owners? And more importantly can you guarantee that more resources will speed up the development process? Most likely you already have estimates regarding the sales, can you give us expected dates for further milestones?
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

We tried this model (2.0 -> 2.5) and I feel it is not a good idea. Please wait for feature-complete version 3.0, decide if it provides features you need and purchase 3.0 upgrade or skip it. There are several features we want push to 3.0 version such as fix for slow-transfer-problem, etc.

We can guarantee one thing: we will speed up development process if we will be able to receive enough funds from 3.0 upgrade. UAC and Unicode support are next major tasks after x64 support in AS 3.0.