Slow file transfer on Windows 7 x64

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
amministra2000srl

Slow file transfer on Windows 7 x64

Post by amministra2000srl »

I am currently testing Windows 7 x64 7229 build, after having used other ones since 7100.

I have verified under different condition and different network settings the same behaviour: Salamander (latest build) is far slower than Explorer under same settings. Below some typical transfer rate for the same file from/to the same destination, a QNAP NAS with gigabit ethernet. Please note that with FTP connection I can touch 95 MB/s..

From workstation to NAS with Explorer:

From workstation to NAS with Salamander:

From NAS to workstation with Explorer:

From NAS to workstation with Salamander:

I am available to make the tests you consider useful, since I have payed for this File Manager and I'd like to see a better t/r.
amministra2000srl

Re: Slow file transfer on Windows 7 x64

Post by amministra2000srl »

*bump*
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Thank you for the information. We already know about this problem and plan to look into it.
juson

Post by juson »

the same with Windows 7 x32.
is there already a solution?

best regards juson
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

We plan to look into this problem. It has high priority on our todo list.
juson

Post by juson »

Jan Rysavy wrote:We plan to look into this problem. It has high priority on our todo list.
Version 2.53 has still the same problem: Windows 7 Explorer copies more than 2 times faster then Salamander from a Core Duo System to a Samba System.
Other filemanagers, like FreeCommander, seem to use the original copy routines from Windows. At least the copy window seems to be the same as from Windows Explorer. So there is no differenz between FreeCommander und Explorer.
----------------------------------------
For example: Copy of 5 GB
FreeCommander 1:06 minutes :)
Salamander 2:29 minutes :oops:
-----------------------------------

For me copy (speed) is one of the most important features of a filemanager and this thread is one year old.

Regards Juson
Kanopus

Post by Kanopus »

I didn't recognize this problem at all on my Win 7/64, I'll prove it. But I noticed in one of my self programmed applications (Delphi 32-Bit) that closing a file handle lasts VERY long on this OS, so I rewrote the code to close the file in a thread. Maybe there is also a delay when reading or writing a data block.
juson

Post by juson »

Please notice, that my Core Duo is a 32bit system. It seems to be a Windows 7 problem and not only a 64bit problem.

Juson
kurfuer

Post by kurfuer »

any news on this topic?
I'm using the salamander ona 64bit Win7 and a 32bit Win7 (both 2.54), and both have this issue.
It doesn't help me to know, it's only on Win7 computers. The win explorer copy/move is running fast, and Salamander is slow.
I don't believe in file closing problem, if I watch the network interface utilization, it shows me ~ 75Mbit/s for Salamander, and ~200Mbit for explorer (continously).
It seems to depend on network copy/move only, because a local copy is much much faster (Salamander tells me ~30MByte/s).
If there is anything I can help to solve this issue please let me know. I like Salamander too much :-)
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

I'm sorry, we are still working on other tasks (right now we are moving Salamander to Visual Studio 2008 and preparing for x64 support), but we want to look into this problem too.

Just for reference, another thread with this problem (Czech): http://forum.altap.cz/viewtopic.php?p=13414#p13414
Andre.Ziegler

Post by Andre.Ziegler »

I also notice this. copying inside a 100MBit Ethernet I get 12MB/s with the Windows Explorer and only 7MB/s with Salamander. I hope you can fix this after migrating the code to VS2008.
"Theory is when you know something, but it doesn't work. Practice is when something works, but you don't know why. Programmers combine theory and practice: Nothing works and they don't know why."
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Yes, we will fix it.
Andre.Ziegler

Post by Andre.Ziegler »

"Theory is when you know something, but it doesn't work. Practice is when something works, but you don't know why. Programmers combine theory and practice: Nothing works and they don't know why."
juson

Post by juson »

More than two years after this thread was opened, is there any hope that the issue will be solved in near future?
Are you really working on it at all?
Please let me know if Salamander is an out dated piece of software.

Best regards
Juson
Safalex

Post by Safalex »

is it solved? 'cause from what i've read in this threat it looks like the problem still exists.

----
mobile phone signal booster
http://ecodiag.eu/wakka.php?wiki=Mobile ... nalBooster
Last edited by Safalex on 05 Aug 2014, 14:51, edited 3 times in total.