What next? Vote please: x64 version or UAC support

This is a place for users to discuss Altap Salamander. Please feel free to ask, answer questions, and express your opinion. Please do not post problems, bug reports or feature requests here.

What feature is more important for you?

x64 version
75%
UAC support
25%

Total votes: 149

roman2

Re: What next? Vote please: x64 version or UAC support

Post by roman2 »

glober wrote:Dmitry conveys my exact sentiments! Unicode is absolutely essential and should be the top priority.
I just had to move files (downloaded by a torrent program) from one location to another. Two of the files contained Unicode characters. Salamander refused to do it (or delete them) because "The system cannot the file specified". I had to resort to Windows Explorer to work with these files. Being able to work with Unicode file names should be a high priority feature, in my opinion.
m4pp1

Post by m4pp1 »

*PLEASE* x64, really need it for perforce p4win shell extension which insists on x64 install.
aside from that, love the product :)
therube

Post by therube »

Is "p4win" "P4V"?
P4V comes in both x86 & x64 versions. Are you able to install/use the x86 version on your x64 OS?
If that works, it could act as a work-around until ...

http://www.perforce.com/perforce/downloads/index.html
WinXP Pro SP3 or Win7 x86 | SS 2.54
m4pp1

Post by m4pp1 »

Yup i'm a luddite and prefer the older native p4win to the modern java version, but the feedback is appreciated anyway, thanks :)
Andre.Ziegler

Post by Andre.Ziegler »

Any news about a 64Bit Beta? I switched to Win7 Sp1 x64 and i want to test the x64 bit version.
"Theory is when you know something, but it doesn't work. Practice is when something works, but you don't know why. Programmers combine theory and practice: Nothing works and they don't know why."
Batchman

Post by Batchman »

unicode should be top priority as file manager which cant control all files is pretty lacking

x64 or UAC are just cherries, theres no biggie to not having them
lowkee

Post by lowkee »

This post was begun Nov 2009.. it is now 2012.

We'll be running Windows x128 by the time we get x64 support :(
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

vld

Post by vld »

Jan....you keep referring to the Roadmap that keeps changing. 64bit has been around for several and I've finally gotten to x64 for over a year now. "If" you follow your own constantly delayed/changing Roadmap, x64 will be around in a minimum of 2yrs from now....1yr for 2.55 testing/release and another year for the Next Altap Salamander. Not too promising if you ask me. Seems like you scrapped x64 a long time ago. :(
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

We have internal "pre-alpha" x64 version of Altap Salamander core and some plugins already on our computers. There is a lot of work to do before we will be able to release it, but it is definitely coming.

Would you like to confirm it for others? Please contact me at jan.rysavy@altap.cz, you can try it yourself.
SelfMan

Post by SelfMan »

Jan, "throw it to the wolves". Put it to the EAP as a early alpha with a big ALPHA warning. You might get more feedback from wide range of people than from internal testing. (how many people do the internal testing anyway)
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Unfortunately it is not ready for EAP. Bug reporting is not working, plugins are not converted to x64, RTL is not compiled for x64, shell extensions, installer, etc, etc.
We really cannot release product in such early state, I'm sorry.
vld

Post by vld »

Jan Rysavy wrote:We have internal "pre-alpha" x64 version of Altap Salamander core and some plugins already on our computers. There is a lot of work to do before we will be able to release it, but it is definitely coming.

Would you like to confirm it for others? Please contact me at jan.rysavy@altap.cz, you can try it yourself.
I have no problem looking at it, send me a PM with the link.

But you are missing my point. We are talking 2yrs before an x64 release. If I'm wrong about the timeline, then it will be the 1st time I've seen a release in less then a year since beta was released.
mdruiter

Post by mdruiter »

The roadmap now says that both 'features' will be included in the next official release:
Final version of Altap Salamander 3.0
  • Support for Windows Vista/7/8 UAC elevation prompts
  • Both 32 and 64 bit versions to bypass WOW64 limitations
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Yes, we plan to support UAC in AS 3.x. We did thorough analysis and it looks like a feasible task.