Windows 7 Libraries

This is a place for users to discuss Altap Salamander. Please feel free to ask, answer questions, and express your opinion. Please do not post problems, bug reports or feature requests here.
lew

Windows 7 Libraries

Post by lew »

Can anyone tell me how I can link up to the Libraries folder that Windows 7 now has in explorer? I would like to get it to show up below Documents in the Salamander drive selection drop down in both panels.

Thanks,
Lew
therube

Re: Windows 7 Libraries

Post by therube »

Is that even configurable?

Would a Hot Path work for you?

These "Libraries", are you speaking of the WinSxS directories?

Demystifying the WinSxS directory in Windows XP, Vista and Server 2003/2008

What is the WINSXS directory in Windows 2008 and Windows Vista and why is it so large?
WinXP Pro SP3 or Win7 x86 | SS 2.54
therube

Post by therube »

> Is that even configurable?

To the extent that "check marked" Hot Paths are listing on the Change Drive menu.

> Would a Hot Path work for you?

Should work.
Would not be (directly) below the the Documents menu item, though it would be listing on the Change Drive menu.
WinXP Pro SP3 or Win7 x86 | SS 2.54
Ether

Post by Ether »

therube wrote:These "Libraries", are you speaking of the WinSxS directories?
Nope, I assume it's about Libraries (virtual folders containing files from different locations, much like Desktop and Start Menu have been for some time).
lew wrote:Can anyone tell me how I can link up to the Libraries folder that Windows 7 now has in explorer?
The best I can think of is a command in User Menu that will open the Libraries folder in Explorer. As far as I know, Salamander does not support virtual folders yet.
Ελληνικά rulez.
lew

Post by lew »

Exactly that is what I want. Don't see why it can't "Documents" shows up and takes me to my documents directory.
Ether

Post by Ether »

lew wrote:"Documents" shows up and takes me to my documents directory.
Yeah, but that's only your "My" Documents directory, but the Documents library aggregates files from two different locations (and actually, not any one of them has to be the one that Salamander uses).
Ελληνικά rulez.
lew

Post by lew »

I look a while back and found information that MS publishes to allow you to add the feature in to applications. I guess I don't see why one would not put the feature in if it is available. It's not like MS is hiding it.
Ether

Post by Ether »

lew wrote:I look a while back and found information that MS publishes to allow you to add the feature in to applications.
What kind of integration is Microsoft offering? Could you provide a link?
lew wrote:I guess I don't see why one would not put the feature in if it is available.
Because Salamander operates on files and directories, which are regular filesystem structures. Libraries are an abstraction above that. I don't say that the support for them should not be implemented, I'm just saying it's not as simple as your tone is implying.
Ελληνικά rulez.