What next? Vote please: x64 version or UAC support

This is a place for users to discuss Altap Salamander. Please feel free to ask, answer questions, and express your opinion. Please do not post problems, bug reports or feature requests here.

What feature is more important for you?

x64 version
75%
UAC support
25%

Total votes: 149

Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Re: What next? Vote please: x64 version or UAC support

Post by Jan Rysavy »

We are preparing code for x64 support.
knick

Post by knick »

Jan Rysavy wrote:We are preparing code for x64 support.
Yould you give us users a timeline?

For me (being a developer) missing TortoiseSVN context menu is currently the most annoying thing when working under Windows 7 64bit...

Keep up the good work!

Bye,
Michael
zarevak
Plugin Developer
Plugin Developer

Post by zarevak »

knick wrote:For me (being a developer) missing TortoiseSVN context menu is currently the most annoying thing when working under Windows 7 64bit...
Install 32-bit version of TortoiseSVN alongside your 64-bit version and your issue will be solved ;-) This will also allow you to see TortoiseSVN status icons in Open/Save dialogs in Visual Studio, which is also 32-bit application 8)
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Exactly, install both x86 a x64 versions of your shell extensions.

Time line: we are still working on conversion of source code from Visual Studio 6 to Visual Studio 2008. Altap Salamander core is there, our own RTL is ready. Now we are working on plugins conversion (90 projects). As soon as whole Salamander will be converted do Visual C++ 2008, we will do first test with x64.
knick

Post by knick »

Jan Rysavy wrote:Time line: we are still working on conversion of source code from Visual Studio 6 to Visual Studio 2008. Altap Salamander core is there, our own RTL is ready. Now we are working on plugins conversion (90 projects). As soon as whole Salamander will be converted do Visual C++ 2008, we will do first test with x64.
Oh, that means that next release will take a while ;-)

I presonally have migrated some little projects from 6.0 to 2010 just a few days ago... And even migrating simple projects needs some time.

From a developers view: Why have you choosen to migrate to 2008 and not to 2010? Any technical reasons or was 2010 not available when you started migrating?

Bye,
Michael
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Visual C++ 2010 doesn't support (as target OS) Windows 2000, Windows XP without SP, and Windows XP with SP1. First supported OS is Windows XP SP2.

http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStud ... ior-to-sp2

They are using hard-coded EncodePointer/DecodePointer in 2010 RTL (it is run-time optional in 2008 RTL).

We can always try to hack 2010 RTL source code and build own RTL version (as we do now with 2008 RTL to bypass stupid side-by-side-assemblies), but right now the 2008 seems to be good compromise.
Note: we need 2008 RTL to by placed in Salamander directory for "portable" version of Salamander (that will run without installation, for example from flash drive or network). Side-by-side-assemblies is no option for us.
knick

Post by knick »

Hi,
Jan Rysavy wrote:Visual C++ 2010 doesn't support (as target OS) Windows 2000, Windows XP without SP, and Windows XP with SP1. First supported OS is Windows XP SP2.
Ah, a very good point - thank you!

Bye,
Michael
Eric

Post by Eric »

knick wrote:Hi,
Jan Rysavy wrote:Visual C++ 2010 doesn't support (as target OS) Windows 2000, Windows XP without SP, and Windows XP with SP1. First supported OS is Windows XP SP2.
Ah, a very good point - thank you!

Bye,
Michael
Good point? Not in my opinion.
Why supporting OS which aren't supported by Microsoft anymore?
Perhaps also adding support for Win98 and Windows NT 4 ?

Better to support OS, which are also maintained.

I neither think they need support for x64 :wink:

People with XP SP1 or older, may always install older version of AS.

What about new features for Win7, like Jumplist support?

Thanks
Eric
Win2012, Win7, Win8 and Win8.1 x64 (german and english) | AS 3.0 beta 4 (x64)
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Eric wrote:What about new features for Win7, like Jumplist support?
It should be probably in another thread...
Eric

Post by Eric »

Jan Rysavy wrote:
Eric wrote:What about new features for Win7, like Jumplist support?
It should be probably in another thread...
Wasn't excactly a feature request.

More a question, was happens when AS is bound to old legacy OS, compiled with older libraries.
Still possible to add new and advanced features?
therube

Post by therube »

;-) --> Feature Requests

PS: Jumplist Extender is an easy-to-use utility that lets you add custom jumplists to any of your programs on Windows 7.
(I have no idea what a "jumplist" is & actually use 7 Taskbar Tweaker to revert to the "old style" menus.)
WinXP Pro SP3 or Win7 x86 | SS 2.54
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Eric wrote:More a question, was happens when AS is bound to old legacy OS, compiled with older libraries.
Yes, it is not a problem to call new OS API and stay backward compatible, we are doing it all the time. For example: until recently was Salamander tested with Windows 95 (without service pack) and it works with NTFS features such as Alternate Data Streams or file system compression or encryption.
Ether

Post by Ether »

Eric wrote:More a question, was happens when AS is bound to old legacy OS, compiled with older libraries.
Sure, with proper feature detection. There are lots of applications that support jumplists (a Win7-only feature) and other new stuff and still work on older versions of Windows.

EDIT] I had began writing this post before Jan wrote his - that's why there are two posts explaining the same thing. :D
Ελληνικά rulez.
Eric

Post by Eric »

Jan Rysavy wrote:Yes, it is not a problem to call new OS API and stay backward compatible, we are doing it all the time. For example: until recently was Salamander tested with Windows 95 (without service pack) and it works with NTFS features such as Alternate Data Streams or file system compression or encryption.
The problem isn't the backward compatiblity, I know. More the forward compatiblity, with older libraries. When I'm compiling my code with VS2008, I'm using also the libraries with this version. For example the MFC libraries. There's big differences between these two versions.
But that said, I have also seen there's a MFC feature pack for VS2008, which ports some Windows API functionality back from VS2010 to VS2008, so perhaps not a problem.
But what about others libraries? And missing all these new language features?

I'm still not convinced, that AS should support all these legacy OS.
Enough said, hoping for a new version of AS soon. :P
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Salamander is not using any libraries (like MFC, ATL, .NET, etc.). It is plain Windows API application.
We are also not using STL and Boost libraries, nor new C++ features (it is still compatible with Visual C++ 6.0).
So there is not a problem...