Context Menu Help

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.

Context Menu Help

Post by Guest »

Hi.

When I right click on a file in Salamander I have the ability to choose copy in the context menu. When I right click on a folder or in a directory, I do not get the paste option in the context menu.

Also, in the context menu, I do not have the NEW menu item to create new folders, text documents etc.

Any way to get these in my context menus?

Thanks,
Daniel
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Re: Context Menu Help

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Anonymous wrote:When I right click on a folder or in a directory, I do not get the paste option in the context menu.

Also, in the context menu, I do not have the NEW menu item to create new folders, text documents etc.

Any way to get these in my context menus?

Thanks,
Daniel
It looks strange. When you right-click some directory name (in the Servant Salamander panel), is there "Cut" and "Copy" command availabe?

:idea: You can right-click the Change Drive button (above panel, left corner) to open context menu for the current directory.
KNUT

Post by KNUT »

I always get the standard windows context menu, no matter what I select (file or directory).
Kind regards, KNUT

Post by jis »

KNUT wrote:I always get the standard windows context menu, no matter what I select (file or directory).
The same here. I always get in SS identical context menu like in Windows Explorer for file or folder. Only for folder there is minor difference in SS where is as default action (bold text) Explore and in Explorer it is Open.
Altap Salamander fan since 1998

Post by Guest »

I am glad you guys think it is strange too!

Anyway, To answer Jan Rysavy:

Yes I can always see cut and copy. But when I cut or copy something I dont see Paste when I right click again.

To show you what I mean, I will post a couple of pix(thanks imageshack).

Here I cut something:

And here I try and paste it by right clicking in the white space below the 2 batch files:

Notice there is no "NEW" sub menu, and there is no PASTE menu item. (and the batch file is greyed out because it was cut)
KNUT

Post by KNUT »

The solution is right in the second picture: You can't paste a file into another file (your selection is "UNZIP-BAT"!!).
Choose the white space under the file list to right click :!:
Kind regards, KNUT

Post by ino »

I have noticed your context menu has changed - you can see the horizontal rule bellow Properities on the second picture.

so, something is trying to change your context menu.

Have you tried to reinstall Salamander?
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

KNUT wrote:The solution is right in the second picture: You can't paste a file into another file (your selection is "UNZIP-BAT"!!).
Yes, you should righ-click the Change Drive button or unused space in the panel for the Paste command.

Regarding the missing NEW command: could you please capture the same screenshot from Windows Explorer? Use the Shift+F3 command to open Windows Explorer window from Servant Salamander.

Btw: please use the PNG format for screenshots instead of JPG. Thank you.
omega

Post by omega »

KNUT wrote:The solution is right in the second picture: You can't paste a file into another file (your selection is "UNZIP-BAT"!!).
The funny thing is shouldn't the menu cover the selected file just like the first image? If you select the white area the menu the filename should be visible and you will get a small menu with "paste"

Also i agree with Ino there's a line below properties. Isn't it strange to see "temp.rar" instead of "unzip.rar" if you compare both screenshots.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

I see the PROBLEM now: please install the latest beta version 2.5 beta 11. Your problems should be gone.

Post by Guest »

Thanks for all the attention!

For the second screenshot, I was not rightclicking on the Unzip.bat. I was right clicking on the white space below unzip.bat. The top left corner of the context menu is the spot I was right clicking. There is no way I know of to unselect a file, so I dont think this is the problem.

I will try 2.5 beta 11 and see if that helps. If not I will try and completely un-install and try to re-install.

Here find the screenshots from windows explorer as requested.

CUT

PASTE

ino

Post by ino »

Please before all next posts re-install your Servant Salamander -
use the latest version 2.5 beta 11 http://www.altap.cz/download.html#sal25

I believe this will solve your problem.

Another usefull link: http://www.altap.cz/purchase_sal.html

Post by Guest »

I have now completely uninstalled 2.0.

I have now installed 2.5.

There are changes. The NEW submenu item is working correctly. However when I CUT or COPY, I still dont see PASTE. Below find the screen shots (thanks imageshack).

First I cut.

Second I try to paste by clicking on white space. (notice the NEW submenu item - YAY!, but no PASTE - boo!)

Finally I try and paste by clicking on the change drive icon.(still no paste)

So 2.5 beta 11 did help with the NEW, but for some reason the PASTE problems remain.

Any more ideas?
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Anonymous wrote:I have now completely uninstalled 2.0.

I have now installed 2.5.
You needn't uninstall the old version of Servant Salamander to test the new one. Each version use its own home directory and configuration key in Registry.
Anonymous wrote:So 2.5 beta 11 did help with the NEW, but for some reason the PASTE problems remain.

Any more ideas?
Try to copy some file to Clipboard (using the Copy or Cut command). Then the Paste command should appear.
Petr Solin
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Petr Solin »

Please try also Paste command from menu Edit.

Also try to Paste that file to some other folder (Cut & Paste to same path causes only error "cannot move file to itself").