What next? Vote please: x64 version or UAC support

This is a place for users to discuss Altap Salamander. Please feel free to ask, answer questions, and express your opinion. Please do not post problems, bug reports or feature requests here.

What feature is more important for you?

x64 version
75%
UAC support
25%

Total votes: 149

vld

Re: What next? Vote please: x64 version or UAC support

Post by vld »

The more and more I use Salamander in w7x64, the more and more I feel the need can't come quick enough. I am tired of switching between Salamander and W7 shitty explorer. :evil:
mystrdat

Post by mystrdat »

From these 2 options, my vote goes definitely x64. Not sure how meaningful could UAC support be in the long run anyway.
kbirger

Post by kbirger »

vld wrote:The more and more I use Salamander in w7x64, the more and more I feel the need can't come quick enough. I am tired of switching between Salamander and W7 shitty explorer. :evil:
STILL not seeing an actual complaint from you.
vld

Post by vld »

kbirger wrote:
vld wrote:The more and more I use Salamander in w7x64, the more and more I feel the need can't come quick enough. I am tired of switching between Salamander and W7 shitty explorer. :evil:
STILL not seeing an actual complaint from you.
Read on
sunkione

Post by sunkione »

I vote for x64 support.
Eric

Post by Eric »

I don't get it why the people are voting for x64 and not UAC support.

AS works fine under x64, the only limitation for me is the shell extension. But this can be solved by installing the corresponding 32bit extension.
The UAC problem cannot be solved. I need to use the windows explorer, if I wan't an UAC prompt or else, running AS elevated.

So why the people are voting for x64?

My ranking:
1. Unicode
2. UAC
3. x64
Win2012, Win7, Win8 and Win8.1 x64 (german and english) | AS 3.0 beta 4 (x64)
vld

Post by vld »

Eric wrote:I don't get it why the people are voting for x64 and not UAC support.
You can turn off UAC but you can't turn on x64 support
Eric

Post by Eric »

vld wrote:You can turn off UAC but you can't turn on x64 support
Yeah, back to the old WinXP/98/95/... time! Woking with admin priv? Stupidness! :evil:

I'm working as normal user with low priv. So when I need more priv / access, two choices:
1. UAC prompt -> Not supported
2. Running AS as admin / with elev. priv. -> More work

So it doesn't help, when UAC is turned off. I have still no access.

And everyone who is working with full access, shouldn't be allowed to use a PC. This gives Windows the 'unsecure', ill fame.

Still voting for x64.
rotvel

Post by rotvel »

Both? :-)
Syl

Post by Syl »

voted x64.
Is there an ETA for this feature?
Some posts are more than 2 years old...
The latest Steam Survey says there's 30% 64 bits OS, and this number will increase with time.
therube

Post by therube »

(
Yeah, back to the old WinXP/98/95/... time! Woking with admin priv? Stupidness! :evil:
I'm working as normal user with low priv.
To me the way that MS has implemented reduced rights & elevations (& everything that goes along with it) is entirely flawed. And the more I run as a Limited user, the more I run into <what I perceive as> flaws. And at some point, I going to say screw this Limited foolishness & revert back to an Admin level user. W7: Lets Talk Standard User (Limited) vs Administrator )
WinXP Pro SP3 or Win7 x86 | SS 2.54
Eric

Post by Eric »

therube wrote: To me the way that MS has implemented reduced rights & elevations (& everything that goes along with it) is entirely flawed. And the more I run as a Limited user, the more I run into <what I perceive as> flaws. And at some point, I going to say screw this Limited foolishness & revert back to an Admin level user.
Limited User: This was only meant for a compromise for non-teachable users. In non other OS you work usually as admin / root.
I worked since WinXP as normal user (non-admin). For 90% of the time I didn't need more privileges. Reading email? Using Word? Surfing? Only If I needed to debug someting.

Today, I only need admin privileges for installation and changing system settings (less than 5% of my time). And you have still the UAC prompt.
So why working as admin? I stay with my statement.
asd0z

Post by asd0z »

Salamander is great sw. But one thing is make me sad: handling strings nowadays as ASCII.

So my drastic ranking:
1. Unicode
2. Unicode
3. Unicode
4. And once more Unicode

Firstly Unicode should be supported in Panels. It is knock-down when you see ???????.xyz instead files just because your system locale (which cannot be changed without restart). Or you cannot go to certain directories. AppLocale helps to restart salamander not a whole system. But you still cannot deal with input - only display files.

Of cause it should be supported ether in Viewer and Find files at second and third. I know that migrating to Unicode touches everything but it so essential!

--
Dmitry
glober

Post by glober »

Dmitry conveys my exact sentiments! Unicode is absolutely essential and should be the top priority.
medwed

Post by medwed »

64b and UAC are very similiar! Both have to be solved ASAP :o).