Unicode viewer

This is a place for users to discuss Altap Salamander. Please feel free to ask, answer questions, and express your opinion. Please do not post problems, bug reports or feature requests here.
stepcz

Unicode viewer

Post by stepcz »

Focus on x64 or UAC? I say NEITHER, go for the damned Unicode viewer! Considering that output of most current commandline tools, powershell etc. is in unicode, lack of the viewer is major inconvenience. From my point of view this is critical flaw in otherwise excellent product; I can't understand why this is not already implemented or at least at the top of the roadmap. I'm strongly tempted to ditch AS in favor of Total Commander. Can I get a refund please........ :cry:
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Re: Unicode viewer

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Did you purchase AS recently? Please contact me on jan.rysavy@altap.cz, we can refund your order.
MartinS

Post by MartinS »

stepcz wrote:...lack of the viewer is major inconvenience.
I wouldn't call it a major inconvenience, because you can substitute the internal viewer with external unicode viewer of your choice...
stepand76
Plugin Developer
Plugin Developer

Post by stepand76 »

MartinS wrote:I wouldn't call it a major inconvenience, because you can substitute the internal viewer with external unicode viewer of your choice...
Maybe it should be helpful to suggest some external unicode viewer. What viewer do you use?
Wolf

Post by Wolf »

As the initial poster already mentioned TC, here is what I do:

Viewer:

Command: c:\....\TOTALCMD.EXE
Arguments: /S=L "$(FullName)"

And if I have to do something in Unicode, then F9 + the following menu entry to open the left/right directories from Salamander in TC:

Command: c:\....\TOTALCMD.EXE
Arguments: /O L="$(FullPathLeft)" /R="$(FullPathRight)"

:)
therube

Post by therube »

I've never bothered setting up alternative viewers.
For unicode files, I simply open them in my editor (Win32Pad) which handles them.

Just now, setting up Universal Viewer as my default viewer, while it does work & works with unicode files, does (kind of) lose the seamless actions that the Salamander internal viewer provides.

I'd much prefer the Salamander internal viewer handle unicode.

Find Files (Alt+F7) Content Search Option - Unicode

.reg files in internal viewer
Last edited by therube on 28 Apr 2010, 22:37, edited 1 time in total.
WinXP Pro SP3 or Win7 x86 | SS 2.54
zarevak
Plugin Developer
Plugin Developer

Post by zarevak »

If you like Total Commander's Lister, you can use it with Altap Salamander without even installing Total Commander. This is possible, because Lister is also available as stand alone viewer application.

Download Lister from: http://www.ghisler.com/lister/
Textor

Post by Textor »

I second that suggestion.

The Ghisler Lister is highly useful, e.g. you can select what font to use for display, so selecting a Unicode font will show all supported characters. It can easily be integrated into Salamander, either as a default, or via the user menu.

It can also serve as an alternative HTML viewer, given that the standard Internet Explorer viewer sometimes doesn't render files, or refuses to unload when you close Salamander.
jimcool

Post by jimcool »

Of couse I can use Lister or Universal Viewer or other viewing software. BUT by going this way I also lose the ability to search for the string used in "Find files" command just by pressing F3 in "Find files" window and then again F3 in the viewer window! This feature really speed things up when you are searching for some text and it is present in more than one file ...

As a paying customer (more than 1 license) I would really like to see unicode support in the viewer, more than UAC support :)