Information Line

We welcome any suggestions for new features or improvements in Altap Salamander. Please post one suggestion per report.

Information Line

Post by Guest »

When I browse to a directory, I have to select all to find out how many files there are in that dir, and how much space they take up. This info could be added to the $(FileSize) variable that is displayed in the 'information line' of each panel. When a folder is selected or browsed to, instead of showing only the text 'DIR', it could read 'DIR (44 kb in 24 Files)'.
Datalog

Post by Datalog »

Good idea. +1 for me.
omega

Post by omega »

You don't have to go inside a dir and select all files to find out. ALT+F10 is faster.
Datalog

Post by Datalog »

Alt + F10 (or Space) counts size including subdirectories (recursively). It'd be slow and not same as selecting just files.

It looks like good idea to me just to press Home (to go to ".." line) to see a suma and space of files. But only this. No to autamatically count space when dir is selected, because then the directory must be browsed and it'd be slow.

Post by Guest »

> You don't have to go inside a dir and select all files to
> find out. ALT+F10 is faster.

I don't go into a dir just to find this info out. I go into the dir to work, and having the info visible would be helpful. ALT+F10 is not faster than just looking at the information line.

Post by Guest »

> It looks like good idea to me just to press Home (to go
> to ".." line) to see a suma and space of files. But only
> this. No to autamatically count space when dir is
> selected, because then the directory must be browsed
> and it'd be slow.

Agreed. When you go into a dir, the filesizes of all files inside have already been calculated, so it would be very easy and fast to include the totals (NOT including subdirs) in the information line.
jis

Post by jis »

Anonymous wrote:Agreed. When you go into a dir, the filesizes of all files inside have already been calculated, so it would be very easy and fast to include the totals (NOT including subdirs) in the information line.
May I ask you: Why you need information about how many files do you have in the actual folder, and how much space your files take up, but excluding any other files in any subfolders?
Altap Salamander fan since 1998
omega

Post by omega »

Yeah that's what i'm wondering about as well jis.

"When a folder is selected or browsed to, instead of showing only the text 'DIR', it could read 'DIR (44 kb in 24 Files)'."

"I don't go into a dir just to find this info out. I go into the dir to work"

Actually you mean you want the information line to display total files and used size of the current folder you are in and not select a folder to display this cause that means it will have to exclude all subdirs and the files inside them. I just wonder how many people think this is useful.

Post by Guest »

> May I ask you: Why you need information about how
> many files do you have in the actual folder, and how
> much space your files take up, but excluding any
> other files in any subfolders?

I didn't think this request would be met with such resistance.

(1) this is a standard way of doing things, even windows explorer provides this information on the status bar. Other file managers I have used have provided this info as default behavior as well (freecommander comes to mind, but there are others).

(2) It would be trivial to add this functionality. The information has already been collected by SS, and simply having 'DIR' in the information line is useless.

I have a hard time seeing how it is helpful to give my own ideosyncratic reason for needing it. Why do I ever need file size information? A better question would be, why shouln't SS provide it? As I mentioned, it is trivial to implement, and it has, in fact, been widely implemented by other fm's.

> Actually you mean you want the information line to
> display total files and used size of the current folder
> you are in and not select a folder to display this
> cause that means it will have to exclude all subdirs
> and the files inside them.

Yes. What I meant was what I said. I never mentioned including subdirectories. I clearly stated that I wanted the information that I currently have to retrieve by selecting all.

> I just wonder how many people think this is useful.

Half the people involved in this thread. :) There are MANY features in SS that MOST of its users don't find useful, but they are there. For example, I often wonder how many people find the icon view in listviews useful. but SS implements it.
Datalog

Post by Datalog »

Why? In my case:

Sometimes I use subdir as temporary or backup (named old1, old2, ...), etc. In this case, every time I want to count used size, I _need_ to exclude subdirs. For example: Two directory of this type, to fast compare (if different, I know the're not identical. And only if suma same, then need to use slow compare with content). Or to fast look if exceed CD or DVD limit. And so on.

And I've configured Salamander to select both files and dir when using Num Plus + Enter (because I _usually_ need to select both), so in this case I can't use this to fast show only suma files size - to say the truth, now I'm using it, but I must unselect all directories manually.
jis

Post by jis »

Anonymous wrote:I didn't think this request would be met with such resistance.
Sorry, this is not about resistance but discussion :)

Post by Guest »

> Sorry, this is not about resistance but discussion

Do I take that to mean that you agree with everything else I wrote? So you support adding this info to the information line? That makes 3...:)
jis

Post by jis »

Anonymous wrote:> Sorry, this is not about resistance but discussion

Do I take that to mean that you agree with everything else I wrote? So you support adding this info to the information line? That makes 3...:)
If the definition of Content of Information Line in Configuration will have more attributes to choose from, I cannot be against it. Everyone then will have the possibility to customize Information Line according his or her needs.
I only wonder, why you need this particular information. And your reply was, that you wonder why other one wants to know your reasons for this request. That was not so helpful...

Post by Guest »

> only wonder, why you need this particular information.
> And your reply was, that you wonder why other one
> wants to know your reasons for this request. That was
> not so helpful...

No that's not what I said. My reply was that the reason I need the info is idiosyncratic, meaning MY reason is not going to be anyone else's reason, and therefor providing it won't move this discussion forward at all. I wanted to debate the merits of the feature, not my personal reason for wanting it. But, I can see that maybe providing my reason may get others to see how they may find it useful. So...

At work, I work with directories containing many hundreds of files (often >1000). The number in each directory changes throughout the day, as me and others edit the files, create new files, and move files to other dirs.

When I go into a folder, it would be very useful to quickly know exactly how many files are present (total size is ok too, but not what I really need). This info helps me determine (1) how much work others did that day, (2) how much work has yet to be done, (3) where (by which folder) more resources need to be allocated (4) and on and on. With this info, I can quickly click on many different folders, and get a good snapshot of the work done that day.
jis

Post by jis »

Anonymous wrote:> only wonder, why you need this particular information.
> And your reply was, that you wonder why other one
> wants to know your reasons for this request. That was
> not so helpful...

No that's not what I said. My reply was that the reason I need the info is idiosyncratic, meaning MY reason is not going to be anyone else's reason, and therefor providing it won't move this discussion forward at all. I wanted to debate the merits of the feature, not my personal reason for wanting it. But, I can see that maybe providing my reason may get others to see how they may find it useful. So...

At work, I work with directories containing many hundreds of files (often >1000). The number in each directory changes throughout the day, as me and others edit the files, create new files, and move files to other dirs.

When I go into a folder, it would be very useful to quickly know exactly how many files are present (total size is ok too, but not what I really need). This info helps me determine (1) how much work others did that day, (2) how much work has yet to be done, (3) where (by which folder) more resources need to be allocated (4) and on and on. With this info, I can quickly click on many different folders, and get a good snapshot of the work done that day.
This is exactly what I want. Thanks for your detailed explanation. Your request in this context is very relevant and it makes sense now. I am supporting your request :)