Ability to skip specified directories during copy/move op

We welcome any suggestions for new features or improvements in Altap Salamander. Please post one suggestion per report.
roman2

Ability to skip specified directories during copy/move op

Post by roman2 »

I must be able to skip specified directories during copy/move operations. I use SVN, and when I copy files (and directories) to a server, for example, I need to be able to prevent .svn directories from being copied. Salamander allows specifying exclusion masks for files, but this needs to be extended to directories. I'd really like to see this feature implemented in the upcoming release.

I was hoping that using advanced options (-h) (to not copy hidden directories) would help, but it doesn't (is this a bug?).

If somebody could inform me of a convenient workaround, meanwhile, I'd be grateful.
roman2

Re: Ability to skip specified directories during copy/move o

Post by roman2 »

I've found a workaround. It is to use FileZilla for my FTP needs. It supports file filters, and it even comes with a predefined filter for CVS and SVN directories. It also supports other features that Salamander doesn't, unfortunately, e.g. moving files around the remote location without copying them to the local location. I wish Salamander would do these essential things because I don't want to have to use multiple programs for my file system needs.
zarevak
Plugin Developer
Plugin Developer

Post by zarevak »

Hi roman2, if you are using TortoiseSVN, you can drag any versioned folder with right mous button and upon dropping select "SVN Export all items here" menu item. (Sadly due to the current Salamander implementation you need first click "Other..." menu item - more about this issue)

More information about Right Drag inTortoiseSVN: TortoiseSVN: Most forgotten feature

Also the SVN generally supports Export command, which does want you want. You have to know the repository address for it.
roman2

Post by roman2 »

zarevak, that feature doesn't seem to work with an FTP panel in Salamander.
stepand76
Plugin Developer
Plugin Developer

Post by stepand76 »

Export to temporary folder and then move to FTP. It doesn't work?
roman2

Post by roman2 »

That would work, stepand76, but would be much less efficient than using an FTP client (e.g. FileZilla) that supports what I need natively. I usually prefer not to do what a computer can do.
zarevak
Plugin Developer
Plugin Developer

Post by zarevak »

You feature request is completelly valid and I'm voting for it as well :)

We are just trying to give you advice, how to solve this issue, until this gets implemented in Salamander (which can take very looooooooong time) ;)
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

This request looks like a lot of work. There are several different code paths that would be affected:
- Salamander's standard Copy operation
- FTP plugin's Copy operation
- WinSCP plugin's Copy operation
- Archiver's Pack operation
roman2

Post by roman2 »

Ah, I've forgotten to state that the problem area (mostly) is FTP operations. So, if you could implement this in one area only, please start with that one.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Note: it looks like WinSCP plugin already support this option.
pjj

Post by pjj »

Jan Rysavy wrote:Note: it looks like WinSCP plugin already support this option.
It may be so, but still WinSCP plugin isn't included in standard AS package.

I was about to post identical feature request and then I found this thread. Interesting coincidence. Acausal synchronicity. Please, count my vote in favor of this request (and yes, FTP support is completely enough for me; in fact, this is exactly what I was to ask for.)