Sony Walkman

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
dgray

Sony Walkman

Post by dgray »

My Sony Walkman E-series (NWZ-E-345) isn't seen/recognized by Altap (ver 2.5.2) as a removable storage device. But it is seen and recognized by Windows Explorer. Does anybody know why?

O/S: Window XP Professional, ver 2002, service pack 4
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Re: Sony Walkman

Post by Jan Rysavy »

It probably doesn't support USB Mass Storage. Could you access it from Command Prompt?
SelfMan

Post by SelfMan »

Have you installed some drivers for the player?
Mem

Post by Mem »

Just to confirm the behaviour:

I have read that for some users works UNC path such as "\\WALKMAN" (not on my Win7 x64 though)

The problem is that the device is not using USB Mass Storage driver by default, but some Media Transfer Protocol (MTP) instead (see this thread in Total Commander forum: http://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?p=160881#160881). So Altap may consider implementing this protocol for us.

Another workaround is to manually reinstall the driver for the player (info from this TC forum thread):
- go to device manager
- locate walkman and go to properties
- select driver tab
- refresh driver... (i don't know if this is the correct translation)
- select install from a list.. -> next
- don't search -> next
- select USB mass storage device (the other is MTP device)
- you're done (the walkman gets a drive letter)
-------------------------------------------------------------------

And the workaround works :-)

Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

You can try to run mentioned TC plugin in Salamander, using Manison's Total Commander Proxy Plugin.
mystrdat

Post by mystrdat »

Sorry for the slight necromancy, but are there any news considering the MTP (PTP) protocol support in Salamander? I'm coming around a lot of MTP devices lately.

Although I have to say that changing to mass storage driver (as mentioned above) instead of the MTP device is a good solution and works well, MTP might still be worth a consideration (or not). I guess I'm just asking if you plan on ever supporting MTP or not at this point.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

We don't plan it right now. It is possible to implement it as Altap Salamander plugin based on protocol specification, (or Mr. Ghisler released source code for his Windows Media Audio for MP3-Player plugin at http://www.ghisler.com/plugins.htm#filesys but I don't see the license agreement there - it would require to contact him).

Another "easy" option is use his compiled TC plugin with Manison's Total Commander Proxy Plugin.
achillies000

Post by achillies000 »

Sorry for the slight necromancy, but are there any news considering the MTP (PTP) protocol support in Salamander? I'm coming around a lot of MTP devices lately.
Hyperlife

Post by Hyperlife »

Jan Rysavy wrote:You can try to run mentioned TC plugin in Salamander, using Manison's Total Commander Proxy Plugin.
I will use this proxy!!!
merlin

Post by merlin »

Hello,

I am also supporting this request - MTP is now standard protocol for many mobile devices including the new mobile phones. it is shame that Altap Salamander is not supporting it. Frankly, I don't really understand what Altap developers are doing for so many years between version 2.54 and 3 when they are not able to reflect the key changes in the industry... I see almost no additional features in 3 vs. 2.54 that users would REALLY see. MTP would be one key feature... as said, it is now everywhere and Altap Salamander, as the replacement of Windows Explorer does not support it :-( Quite disappointing...
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

See Portable Devices plugin.