Bug Report each time I start Salamandar 2.52

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
rcgoyal

Bug Report each time I start Salamandar 2.52

Post by rcgoyal »

Dear Sir

I have sent seven bug reports on the subject, but there is no response from you or any corrective measure.

I am a licensed user of your product.

Kind Regards

rcgoyal@avrms.com
Attachments
repeatederrormessageseachtimeiopensalamandar2_52i.zip
Pepeated error message
(16.94 KiB) Downloaded 288 times
Thanks & Regards Goyal
Be Ambassador of Quality
rcgoyal@avrms.com
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Re: Bug Report each time I start Salamandar 2.52

Post by Jan Rysavy »

We are sorry for delayed answer. The problem is in following faulty shell extension:

C:\Program Files\Norton 360 Premier Edition\Engine\3.0.0.135\buShell.dll

Code: Select all

Thread ID: 0x7FDC (Thread with Exception)
  EIP = 0x78138AA0 MSVCR80.dll
  0x6F185E1B buShell.dll
  0x004450EC salamand.exe
  0x00445230 salamand.exe
  0x0044529D salamand.exe
  0x23907AF9 SALRTL.DLL
  0x7C80B729 kernel32.dll
Unfortunately there is nothing we can do, it must be fixed by Symantec. Do you have latest version of Norton 360?
rcgoyal

Post by rcgoyal »

Yes, Resavy

I have the latest Norton 360

Please inform me how to help myself. I am not a developer.

Regards

rcgoyal@avrms.com
Thanks & Regards Goyal
Be Ambassador of Quality
rcgoyal@avrms.com
vld

Post by vld »

[quote="rcgoyal"
Please inform me how to help myself. I am not a developer.
[/quote]
It's a Symantec problem
thomas
Translator
Translator

Post by thomas »

Hello rcgoyal,

delete the "salamand.bug" file in the installations folder of AS 2.52 (or move this file to an other folder e.g. Bugs)

I hope, I understand your issue correctly and I could help you.
therube

Post by therube »

(I know nothing of Norton 360...)

Appears that buShell.dll a "Backup Shell extension" (whatever that may be).

Per this (dated at this point) article, Norton 360 zombie processes, buShell.dll "provides the following extra features that are not vital for the Backup component to work":
1. Icon overlays, these are little indicators that show the state of the files that are backed up, by default they are not turned on so you would not see them unless you specifically turned on "Backup Status Indicators" in the Settings page.
2. The ability to right click a specific file or folder and see the quick menu to allow you to add or exclude that item from the backup set.
So if this is not of significance to you, it would seem you could disable (unregister) the dll without consequence.

Instead of manually unregistering it, you might find this little utility a bit easier to use, Nirsoft: ShellExView - Shell Extensions Manager.
WinXP Pro SP3 or Win7 x86 | SS 2.54
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

If your system becomes unstable AND your installed Norton 360 then the problem seemed the be the buShell.dll
To unregister the buShell.dll, which is normally saved under C:\Programme\Norton 360\Engine\3.5.2.11\buShell.dll
please follow these steps:

1) Start windows under "silent mode", otherwise the buShell.dll cannot be unregistered. Press <F5> during boot procedure.
2) Start a command shell, select start menu / Run... / type "cmd" without the quotes
3) Next you will change directories to type cd "\Program Files\Norton 360\Engine\3.5.2.11" with the quotes
4) Then you will unregister the dll, type regsvr32 /u buShell.dll
5) A dialog should be shown with the following text : "DllUnregisterServer in buShell.dll succeeded."
6) Now close windows in the silent mode and start windows again in normal mode, now Salamander should run proper as usual.
SelfMan

Post by SelfMan »

Or easier...
Download ShellExView from Nirsoft, look for the named shell extension, select it, click the red button to disable the extension and reboot.
GEORGE STAFFA

Post by GEORGE STAFFA »

Salamander will offer the solution itself. It requires no expertise. Do not delete the bug file. Start and exit Salamander repeatedly until you get an error dialogue offering several options including "yes" and "all". (I do not remember the content of the dialogue.) Press "all". You may now delete the bug file and close Salamander. Start Task Manager, select the processes tab, and delete all instances of salamander. The bug should never appear again unless you must reinstall or reactivate Salamander.

GEORGE STAFFA
therube

Post by therube »

@GEORGE STAFFA, what OS are you running? Guessing it is Vista or W7 & it is the OS itself which after finding Salamander crash, is setting up some sort of "compatibility" mode to run it under thereafter.
WinXP Pro SP3 or Win7 x86 | SS 2.54