Hide drive letters

We welcome any suggestions for new features or improvements in Altap Salamander. Please post one suggestion per report.
adaz

Hide drive letters

Post by adaz »

By default Windows shows drive letters for all partitions i.e. c, d, e, f and so on. Windows 7 users can give a nice name for every drive like for my drives its Personal, Videos songs etc.
Windows 7 gives an option to hide these drive letters to make it look more naural as you have already nice name added to them and you are not worried about drive letters any more.
There is no need for drive letters in these days, other operating systems don't need them too (AmigaOS, Linux, OSX, etc.)
I want to see this great feature (drive letter hiding) in Altap Salamander, because nobody wants to suffer from the legacy of DOS...

Thank you,

Adaz
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Re: Hide drive letters

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Could you please post links to some references regarding hiding disk drives in Windows 7?
Ether

Post by Ether »

Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Folder Options > View > Advanced Settings > Files and Folders > Show drive letters
adaz wrote:There is no need for drive letters in these days, other operating systems don't need them too (AmigaOS, Linux, OSX, etc.)
I want to see this great feature (drive letter hiding) in Altap Salamander, because nobody wants to suffer from the legacy of DOS...
Actually, drive letters are still an integral component of the system's working, they're just not presented to you. This is only an estethic change. But I suppose that Salamander could respect this setting and hide the drive letters where possible and logical.
Ελληνικά rulez.
zarevak
Plugin Developer
Plugin Developer

Post by zarevak »

I have big ideological problem with this suggestion:
- How to change drives in Salamander when the drive letters are not presented?

I'm using the Shift+[letter] shortcut to change the drive. If I don't see the drive letter I don't know which drive is which. Alt+F1/Alt+F2, [letter] is another shortcut and it would require UI redesign to come up with new one :(

The main problem with labels is that they are not required to be unique. There can be a computer with 26 logical drives all named "HardDisk". How would you know which is which?
th.

Post by th. »

Sure, the hiding of drive letters would interfere with the "commander style" of keyboard shortcuts.
But on the other hand, if a user choses to not be bothered with drive letters, why not accept that? He might be more of a mouse user anyway. And he has to live with the consequences of non-unique drive names in Explorer as well, so why not let it be his choice?
SelfMan

Post by SelfMan »

Sorry but if this feature is requested by 20 users out of 100000, its just not worth the effort.
That's just my opinion of this feature.
therube

Post by therube »

Not voicing an opinion, just providing some information:

ShowDriveLettersFirst

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/showdrivelettersfirst.htm

So for Windows Explorer, 4 different options exist.
WinXP Pro SP3 or Win7 x86 | SS 2.54