I found a zip file that Salamander 2.52 doesn't handle

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
roman2

I found a zip file that Salamander 2.52 doesn't handle

Post by roman2 »

Salamander says that the file is either a part of the multi-volume archive or is corrupted. However, Winrar 3.70 handles the file with ease. I'll send a link to the file to a Salamander support person or developer via PM.

By the way, http://www.altap.cz/salam_en/plugins/zip.html lists old stuff.
Jan Patera
Plugin Developer
Plugin Developer

Re: I found a zip file that Salamander 2.52 doesn't handle

Post by Jan Patera »

roman2 wrote:Salamander says that the file is either a part of the multi-volume archive or is corrupted. However, Winrar 3.70 handles the file with ease. I'll send a link to the file to a Salamander support person or developer via PM.
You can send it to support (at) altap.cz or directly to me to support (at) pictview.com, i.e. using the standard support channels.
Jan Patera
Plugin Developer
Plugin Developer

Post by Jan Patera »

roman2 wrote:Salamander says that the file is either a part of the multi-volume archive or is corrupted. However, Winrar 3.70 handles the file with ease.
I've got the 195MB file in question. It is actually a .RAR archive. Rename the file to *.rar, Salamander will then handle it as expected.
roman2

Post by roman2 »

I see. Could then the plug-in be improved to detect these kinds of situations? Winrar could do it. IrfanView does a similar thing with images (there have been many situations when images had wrong extensions, and IrfanView informed me about it and offered to rename the files instead of simply failing). PictView plug-in simply displays images in these cases (not ideal behavior).
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

We plan to support Ctrl+PgDn for opening archive with non-associated unpacker. It would be possible to open .EXE self-extractcting archive this way or for example recently supported .CHM archive.
jcgriff2

Post by jcgriff2 »

`

Downloads can get corrupted for a variety of reasons. In IE8, the CONTENT.IE5 directories may be full or nearing capacity.

Batch script that I use to assure clean out of IE5 dirs -

Download attached zip, extrect batch script, RIGHT-click on icon, "Run as Administrator"

Also, I download 1,000's of system files + BSOD kernel memory dumps each day and for whatever reason, sometimes the 1st download is corrupted and I get the error message about multiple volumes -- when there are none. I simply try the download a 2nd time before troubleshooting the situation. I deal mostly with zip, RAR and cab files and do get the ocassional files with mis/re-named file ext as is mentioned here.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Attachments
IE5_DEL_v2__jcgriff2_.bat.zip
(502 Bytes) Downloaded 596 times
J. C. Griffith
Microsoft MVP
Windows Expert - IT Pro
http://mvp.microsoft.com/en-us/mvp/John%20C.%20Griffith-4025562
therube

Post by therube »

(What are the "capacity limits" for CONTENT.IE5 or how would one know it is getting "full"?

Never mind, found it.
IE, Internet Options | General, Browsing History -> Settings.
Never realized that existed. <I've seen some HUGE TIF directories in my time>.)
WinXP Pro SP3 or Win7 x86 | SS 2.54