Is Salamander development still active?

This is a place for users to discuss Altap Salamander. Please feel free to ask, answer questions, and express your opinion. Please do not post problems, bug reports or feature requests here.
JohnFredC

Is Salamander development still active?

Post by JohnFredC »

I recently returned to using Salamander (a little bit) after a long hiatus and am again reminded how intelligently designed, fast, smooth, attractive, and stable a product it is. I would like to use it as my main file manager, even in preference to several powerful competitors.

The problem for my continuing to use Salamander is its dirth of productivity features, tools that I personally need on a daily basis (folder tabs, folder trees in tabs, quickview, and customizable columns come first to mind). Nearly everything I would need is sitting there for all to see in the development roadmap, so I know the developers are aware of Salamander's functional lacunae.

But the lack of traffic in the forum and the slow pace of enhancements are disturbing, especially considering the ongoing and fierce activity of development exhibited by the competitors, not to mention the new features in Vista Explorer and Windows 7 Explorer.

The excellence of Salamander 2.5x is a testament that long development cycles can lead to better design, stability, and functionality, but long development cycles can also mean that the team has taken their collective eyes "off the ball", either intentionally or due to accident.

What's happening with Salamander? Please post some "news we can use"!
Mouse-centric, Registered
stepand76
Plugin Developer
Plugin Developer

Re: Is Salamander development still active?

Post by stepand76 »

It seems to it isn't. But I guess that developers are just on holiday :wink:
mANY

Post by mANY »

JohnFredC wrote:What's happening with Salamander? Please post some "news we can use"!
Altap, please, post any news about development. You've been silent for a long time.
SelfMan

Post by SelfMan »

Boys, give'em a break... They need vacation too...
vld

Post by vld »

Dude...it's been about 7 months from the release of Beta 1. It seems like the Beta died. :twisted:
SelfMan

Post by SelfMan »

vld wrote:Dude...it's been about 7 months from the release of Beta 1. It seems like the Beta died. :twisted:
No its not dead... I am testing the 2.52 beta 2 PB25 (april 30), so far major bugs have been fixed.
Its true that the english forum is not that much alive, but the czech one lives a lot.
The "slowdown" came with the summer and as I said... give'em a chance to breath :-)

edit: and no, don't ask me to send you the beta 2
vld

Post by vld »

Well it's great for you that you are testing....but I got Beta 96 running on my system and it runs flawless. Now that we both need to put our boots on to protect ourselves of that "brown stuff", there is STILL NO NETA #2...no ifs ands and buts and no word on the next Beta other then SOON. So yes, it does appear dead. :roll:
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

We will let you know as soon as beta and final version will be ready. Thank you for your patience.
vld

Post by vld »

SOON right? :|
Eric

Post by Eric »

It seems that Salamander hasn't the higehst priority to Altap.
I think they don't earn enough money with the Salamander product, so they need to do other work first.

I'm a paying customer and have bought more than my needed licences (to support her work).
But right now, I should already use version 2.53 and later (like with unicode support). (see Roadmap)
It is sad that there aren't enough paying customers to support the product.

But anyway, keep up your good work, I will wait for version 2.53 in 2011.

Eric
Win2012, Win7, Win8 and Win8.1 x64 (german and english) | AS 3.0 beta 4 (x64)
stepand76
Plugin Developer
Plugin Developer

Post by stepand76 »

vld wrote:SOON right? :|
Be sure that new beta or final will be available before September 1st :wink:
But I hope it will be sooner.
vld

Post by vld »

Let me hold my breath for the release version now. :lol: :lol: :lol:
rollhigh

Post by rollhigh »

seriously come on guys, the beta is expiring on the 1st of September and no word whatsoever about a new beta or rc or final... i know it takes time to develop software but some expectant time frame would be nice!??

keep up the good work.

cheers
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Second beta version of AS 2.52 was just released. We plan to release final version 2.52 this month.
KNUT

Post by KNUT »

Jan Rysavy wrote:Second beta version of AS 2.52 was just released. We plan to release final version 2.52 this month.
What's new?
Kind regards, KNUT