Losing config on unclean close, AS2.52b

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
frax

Losing config on unclean close, AS2.52b

Post by frax »

Is it only me that has this problem? With 2.51 this was never a problem...

I get now and then (once a week) a situation where AS complains that it wasn't closed cleanly, and that it has lost all it's configuration. When I restart it, I can reimport the old config...
--
Hugo Ahlenius
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Re: Losing config on unclean close, AS2.52b

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Do you use Windows XP SP3?
Could you please check following Registry values?

Code: Select all

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]
"HungAppTimeout"="5000"
"WaitToKillAppTimeout"="20000"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control]
"WaitToKillServiceTimeout"="20000" 
frax

Post by frax »

I am on Vista Urtimate 64-bit. The values look like you list them, so I guess that is not the problem. I thought I would try to see if I could create a test case by just killing the salamander process now, but that didn't cause the config to corrupt.

It has happened a few times when the computer had to reboot due to updates or something, I think. I'll keep my eyes open for the next time it happens!
--
Hugo Ahlenius
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

It happens when Salamander is killed during saving the configuration. Such configuration is corrupted and cannot be trusted next time.

The question is why is your Salamander killed prematurely.

What about AutoEndTasks?

"AutoEndTasks"="0"
The “AutoEndTasks” registry setting is potentially dangerous, particularly when combined with lowered values for “WaitToKillAppTimeout” and “HungAppTimeout”.
Windows waits for the timeout period to allow processes to close themselves. This may require writing data to disk. If timeout occurs and “AutoEndTasks” is set then Wndows wlll forcibly terminate the process without warning. It is always best to allow a process to close itself. Letting Windows do this on a regular basis is asking for trouble. Data loss or corruption may result.
YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!

Larry Miller
Microsoft MCSA

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2006/10/3 ... ows-vista/
frax

Post by frax »

AutoEndTasks is set to 0...

I haven't seen it for a bit now, so things seems to work as they should!
--
Hugo Ahlenius
frax

Post by frax »

Now it happened again - I started a reboot, then I walked away from the computer. I guess the Salamander process was killed for not responding there - when I got back to the computer it was all rebooted and waiting for me to login.
--
Hugo Ahlenius
Tomas Kopal
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Tomas Kopal »

Are you using any kind of security applications, e.g. firewall, antivirus, intrusion prevention system, or anything else what could intervene with registry modifications done by Salamander at shutdown? Anything weird in your system eventviewer logs?
frax

Post by frax »

I am using the built-in Windows Vista firewall, and Avira anti-virus (just for anti-virus, not with all the malware protection). But I haven't had any problem with them and any other software. Nothing weird in the event logs, and everything else works as it should.
--
Hugo Ahlenius
p4ul

Post by p4ul »

The same situation on my laptop with Salamander 2.53 beta 1. I let Salamander opened all the time and I click the Shutdown->Restart->OK. After I log in again, I want to start Salamander but it only brings me following dialog:

Configuration stored in registry is corrupted, so it cannot be loaded. Altap Salamander was probably terminated during saving configuration. This happens mainly
when Altap Salamander is still running when you shutdown system (or log off). To prevent this problem, close Altap Salamander before shutdown (or log off).

You can backup corrupted configuration now (run RegEdit.exe, rename key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Altap\Altap Salamander 2.53 beta 1). Later
you can try to get some settings from this backup (User Menu, Hotpaths, FTP bookmarks, etc.), visit http://forum.altap.cz/ for details.

Corrupted configuration must be removed from registry before starting Altap Salamander.

[Remove Configuration] [Exit]
my registry settings:

"HungAppTimeout"="5000"
"WaitToKillAppTimeout"="4000"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control]
"WaitToKillServiceTimeout"="1000"

"AutoEndTasks"="1"
The settings are maybe too strict, don't know.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

p4ul wrote:The settings are maybe too strict, don't know.
Yes, exactly. Please change it to Microsoft-default values according to my second post.