Long file names

This is a place for users to discuss Altap Salamander. Please feel free to ask, answer questions, and express your opinion. Please do not post problems, bug reports or feature requests here.
duffsparky

Long file names

Post by duffsparky »

I am trialing Altap Salamander and have come across the long path/filenames issue. Anyone know what the maximum number of characters and spaces this software can find and deal with? I know the default XP limit is usually 255.

On Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:37 pm I posted a topic under the heading of "Renaming duplicate folders"; It's had 49 views but no replies. Is there something wrong with the posting, perhaps I've asked a dumb question or something else. Please help.

Regards.
zarevak
Plugin Developer
Plugin Developer

Post by zarevak »

Hi duffsparky,
your second post eas received correctly, but it appears nobody has any usefull answer for you.

For the maximum number of characters and spaces in path: it is llimited to 260 characters with the last character being terminating NUL and first three characters being your root directory (eg. C:\) this means your path can be 260 - 1 - 3 = 256 characters long ;)

I've tested it under Windows 7 Beta and it appears this is the same limitation the Windows Explorer has. Neither Windows Explorer nor Altap Salamander can access longer file names, even when it is technically possible to use paths of 32 thousand characters.
Last edited by zarevak on 04 Mar 2009, 11:29, edited 1 time in total.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Note: we do not plan to support "long" paths (32K characters) until it will be widely supported across all applications (applications that comes with Windows, Microsoft Office, shell extensions, archivers, etc).

We are convinced that introducing it now would lead to chaos.
duffsparky

Post by duffsparky »

Jan Rysavy wrote:Note: we do not plan to support "long" paths (32K characters) until it will be widely supported across all applications (applications that comes with Windows, Microsoft Office, shell extensions, archivers, etc).

We are convinced that introducing it now would lead to chaos.
Thanks for the info gents.
Jan Rysavy wrote:We are convinced that introducing it now would lead to chaos.
I thought the letter "c" in the word computer stood for chaos? javascript:emoticon(':lol:')
roman2

Re:

Post by roman2 »

Jan Rysavy wrote:We are convinced that introducing it now would lead to chaos.
It's a pity because I've been in many situations when Salamander couldn't deal with files (copy/move) when other programs could. I want to be able to at least copy or move files that happened to be stored at paths that are very long. Chaos already exists.