Is Salamander 2.52 beta 1 slower than 2.51?

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
roman2

Is Salamander 2.52 beta 1 slower than 2.51?

Post by roman2 »

It seems that it's much slower than 2.51. Particularly, during enumerating directory content. Has anybody noticed this?
SelfMan

Post by SelfMan »

It would be better if you are more specific...
- OS, SP version, any shell extensions used (like TortoiseSVN etc.), antivirus

I personaly don't have the feeling that Salamander is slower.
stepand76
Plugin Developer
Plugin Developer

Re: Is Salamander 2.52 beta 1 slower than 2.51?

Post by stepand76 »

roman2 wrote:It seems that it's much slower than 2.51. Particularly, during enumerating directory content. Has anybody noticed this?
No, there it seems to it is the same as in 2.51 on my computer.
roman2

Post by roman2 »

SelfMan wrote: - OS, SP version, any shell extensions used (like TortoiseSVN etc.), antivirus
Hmm... the slowness I experience may have to do with my having enabled real-time virus checking. I'll experiment with this.
jis

Post by jis »

Bingo, that sounds as a culprit.
Altap Salamander fan since 1998
SelfMan

Post by SelfMan »

May I ask which antivirus?
roman2

Post by roman2 »

Sure, it's AVG Free Edition.
Ether

Post by Ether »

AVG runs this Complete Test every time you start Windows (or maybe once a day, but that's all the same to me), which is slowing the system down a lot. It should present an icon in the tray when the test is running. Could that be it? Because I really think that real-time scanning can't be such a slow-down to be noticed (if it isn't a Pentium 1 computer :)).
Ελληνικά rulez.
vld

Post by vld »

I have a similar problem with ESET 3x where each time I launch Salamander, it just takes forever to load. What I found is ESET Advanced heuristics scan had to be turned off.
SelfMan

Post by SelfMan »

roman2 wrote:Sure, it's AVG Free Edition.
Ah... that one I really don't like... I haven't had problems with eset tho, as vld wrote. (I am currently using NOD32 v3.0.684).
Every Antivirus has a option to be temporary disabled. You should try the system/salamander responsiveness with AV disabled.
roman2

Post by roman2 »

I only turned on the real-time scan recently, around the time I upgraded to Salamander 2.52 beta 1. That's why I think this is the reason. I saw a friend with an infected flash drive recently and decided to add more protection :)

ether, I've disabled daily scans a long time ago. And real-time checks are very noticeable even though I have a dual-core processor and 2 GB RAM.
Jesper Hertel

Post by Jesper Hertel »

I also noticed that 2.52 beta 1 sometimes freezes (mouse cursor moves, but the cursor shape does not change as it should, no keyboard reaction too) for 5 or 10 seconds, and the old version 2.51 didn't.

Something has changed, and Salamander is not as snappy anymore, which is a real pain, as the responsiveness of Salamander is one of its big advantages over e.g. Windows Explorer.

I noticed the freezing happening sometimes when changing folders (not big folders). But only sometimes. In folders that were no problem before.

Could it have something to do with Salamander is now updating the contents of panels when Salamander is not focused?

It has nothing to do with AVG Free, as I haven't changed anything in that installation.

I am using Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 32 bit with 2 GB RAM.
Ether

Post by Ether »

Jesper, do you use any 3rd party shell extensions (like CVS, SVN) or other unusual software on your system?
Ελληνικά rulez.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Jesper, if I understand you correctly, you can reproduce this problem in active instance of Salamander?

Could you please break the frozen instance of Salamander and send me generated bug report to jan.rysavy@altap.cz?

You will need to start two instances of Salamander 2.52 beta 1. In one choose the Help > Task List command, select other instance and move the Task list window aside, so you can quickly hit the Break button.

Then reproduce the problem in other instance and hit the prepared Break button.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Re: Is Salamander 2.52 beta 1 slower than 2.51?

Post by Jan Rysavy »

roman2 wrote:It seems that it's much slower than 2.51. Particularly, during enumerating directory content. Has anybody noticed this?
Do you also notice 5-10 seconds delay, as Jesper? Could you please try to break it?