Copying long file names

This is a place for users to discuss Altap Salamander. Please feel free to ask, answer questions, and express your opinion. Please do not post problems, bug reports or feature requests here.
thewolfe

Copying long file names

Post by thewolfe »

I'm trying to help a friend who wants to copy files from his laptop to an external hard drive. When he tries he gets an error message that the filenames are too long. Will salamander copy files and folders with long filenames?
Ether

Post by Ether »

Please, provide an example of these filenames including their paths and the target path. The exact text of the error message would be useful, as well (you can post a screenshot).
Ελληνικά rulez.
SvA

Re: Copying long file names

Post by SvA »

thewolfe wrote:I'm trying to help a friend who wants to copy files from his laptop to an external hard drive. When he tries he gets an error message that the filenames are too long. Will salamander copy files and folders with long filenames?
Please have a look at http://forum.altap.cz/viewtopic.php?p=2353#2353

Your scenario (backup or data migration) is probably the most common one where this kind of error occures. For this reason I believe Altap should reconsider its decision.
jack.reacher

Re: Copying long file names

Post by jack.reacher »

thewolfe wrote: 22 Sep 2008, 06:12 I'm trying to help a friend who wants to copy files from his laptop to an external hard drive. When he tries he gets an error message that the filenames are too long. Will salamander copy files and folders with long filenames?