File Compare

We welcome any suggestions for new features or improvements in Altap Salamander. Please post one suggestion per report.
knick

File Compare

Post by knick »

All,

are there any plans to update the file compare plugin? The current version loops when comparing larger files (in my case, 2.8 MB with 68.000 lines of text - but only 157 differences).

I could provide a sample file if needed...

AND: Well guys, since middle of november you are talking about releasing version 2.51 and we (the users) see no progress. Ok, the new purchase page is online (hey - nice layout! looks great!), but only 2.5 can be ordered. I wonder what is going on behind the scenes.... Just to remind you:

Nov 14: "We are doing our best to release it during next week"
Nov 23: "During next week it will be released."
Dec 12: "As soon as we will finish this system, we can release AS 2.51"

I don't wanna even talk about your current roudmap...

Servant Salamander is a great product, but by "not getting what was promised" you guys are driving us users really [crazy | angry | sad ].

I hope you release AS 2.51 really soon - so we users get our (somehow late) christmas present :lol:

Kepp up the good work!

Bye,
Michael
KNUT

Re: File Compare

Post by KNUT »

Kind regards, KNUT

Post by knick »

I know WinMerge, but the FileCompare of Salamander can be fired up by a key-combination - and I like this a lot.

If Salamander would allow one to launch (with parameters) external programs - yes, then I would use WinMerge.

And because I don't understand czech I also can not write my own plugin (because I don't understand the docs).

Bye,
Michael
SvA

Post by SvA »

knick wrote:I know WinMerge, but the FileCompare of Salamander can be fired up by a key-combination - and I like this a lot.

If Salamander would allow one to launch (with parameters) external programs - yes, then I would use WinMerge.
You can launch external programs with parameters, even compare tools.

The only thing you cannot do is assign them a hotkey of their own, but you can come quite close.

Here's my setup for WinMerge:

In the user menu I have an entry by the name of Win&Merge (Note the & before the M. This allows me to launch this entry by pressing F9 followed by m)

Command: $[PROGRAMFILES]\WinMerge\WinMergeU.exe
Arguments: "$(FileOrDirToCompareLeft)" "$(FileOrDirToCompareRight)"
Initial directory: $(FullPath)
[x] Show item in User Menu Bar

This last option is otional. I usually use this toolbar icon, either clicking it, getting the same functionality as using the hotkey, or by using drag'n'drop when comparing two files from the same pane, which skips the intermediate dialog (which I do not want to disable)

Now here comes my feature request concerning file compare. I wish there was a swap option on the Compare Files dialog.