U3

We welcome any suggestions for new features or improvements in Altap Salamander. Please post one suggestion per report.
mcleaver

U3

Post by mcleaver »

The first thing I discover when visiting a PC is the lack of Salamander. I can't live without it! Any chance of a U3 version?

Martin
McLion

Post by McLion »

Very, very great idea !!! :D

Franz
mcleaver

U3

Post by mcleaver »

I found FreeCommander and that does have a U3 version.
Ether

Re: U3

Post by Ether »

Such a request was here multiple times, it's been worked on.

Please, look at http://forum.altap.cz/viewtopic.php?t=1803 and http://forum.altap.cz/viewtopic.php?t=2064 and http://forum.altap.cz/viewtopic.php?t=748 and http://forum.altap.cz/viewtopic.php?t=30.

Then, look at the Forum Rules and note rule #1.
Ελληνικά rulez.
Martin

This is my key feature

Post by Martin »

I really would appreciate the possibility to run AS from USB flash disk. Why? First, idiots are making rules and the rule in company I work for is "TC only" and "we don't care you have your own license" (cos I have my own AS license but I am not allowed to use it...) Second, when I travel, I am given notebook ... any notebook which is available at the time, of course without AS.

I don't understand why this is still not implemented - I actually am a programmer and I guess this function would take a day or two (if AS internals are in good health conditions, indeed).

Please do this, until this function is available I do not to think about buying other plugins, since I can't use AS. (At home I have a linux so no real way to use AS there...)
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Martin, for portable version of Salamander the configuration stored in file (instead of Registry) must be supported. It would take much much more than two days.

Post by Guest »

Jan Rysavy wrote:Martin, for portable version of Salamander the configuration stored in file (instead of Registry) must be supported. It would take much much more than two days.
OK, probably. All you need is to change configuration provider from registry to INI file. But all needed classes or functions are present on Windoes.

Anyway, does anybody care about this function?
Now I just don't use AS. I need a portable mode which is simply not present.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Anonymous wrote:OK, probably. All you need is to change configuration provider from registry to INI file. But all needed classes or functions are present on Windoes.
It is impossible to implement such layer (including unicode support) and adapt existing 200KB of C++ save/load code for this layer in a few weeks. We will do it but not now, I'm sorry. Support for Registry must stay for our corporate customers.

There are also other problems, for example Altap Salamander shell extension (plugins\salamext.dll). Portable version of Salamander should probably avoid it because it's loaded (also) into Windows Explorer process.

Post by Guest »

Jan Rysavy wrote: It is impossible to implement such layer (including unicode support) and adapt existing 200KB of C++ save/load code for this layer in a few weeks. We will do it but not now, I'm sorry. Support for Registry must stay for our corporate customers.
The fact is that I don't know much about your code quality. This could be an issue, of course. Hmm - regarding the 200 kB of C++ code just for save and load configuration - it is probably an issue...
Jan Rysavy wrote: There are also other problems, for example Altap Salamander shell extension (plugins\salamext.dll). Portable version of Salamander should probably avoid it because it's loaded (also) into Windows Explorer process.
This is OK, it is obvious that running applications from flash disk comes with some limitations. For me not being able to run AS is a crucial limitation. As it seems, I have to look for some competitive product. May be even the not-so-nice TC - it is installed virtually everywhere.

You know, I like AS, but I will definitely not wait another 3+ years for you to implement such an easy feature. Because you promised it at the end of 2005 in this forum.

Post by Guest »

Well, I don't want to argue any more.

Seems that for you this feature is not important or you don't have resources to implement it.

I will probably survive even without AS :)
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Btw, is the U3 technology still the same crap as it was a few years ago? The lame "start menu", CD-ROM emulation/two drives, etc, etc?
Ether

Post by Ether »

Dear Guest.

Since you are a programmer, how is it possible that you haven't been able to program a little script to wipe out the application's configuration from registry after the application exits (given that it IS important to NOT leave it there)? There already is a feature that loads (and puts in effect) chosen configuration at startup of AS, as you surely know. Doesn't lie the portability in these two specific features - to load a configuration from a file and wipe it out/not save it afterwards? As far as I know, it does.

I am intentionally omiting the aspect of saving the configuration to a file, because a] correct me if I'm wrong, but an experienced user doesn't need to save the configuration everytime he runs the application, and b] there is always an option to do it manually, when occasionally needed.

And as you said, the thing about salamext.dll is not an issue for you.

If I'm reading this correctly, you look as you're relying on the developers (no offense to them, they are acting fair) to create some "portable mode" in order for you to use the application at all. I don't quite understand it. Did you even try to make a workaround?

To include another point of view, I've been using AS successfully at home, and as well on other people's computers. From my experience, they in fact don't mind when I install AS onto their computer and configure it by my preferences.

And to cover all aspects of this case, the developers have other important things to do, such as Unicode support, new web and migrating to 64bit platform. As I understand, these features are a lot more demanded than portability, especially in the U3 fashion.

Looking forward to a reply from you.
Ελληνικά rulez.

Post by Guest »

Dear ether (to comply to your style :))

1. I do know about this solution, however it is not quite acceptable for me because it still uses registry. And everything placed in registry can be found there, at least the time is actually is in registry, right? I really need a registry-free solution.

2. I am not talking about installing on my friends' computers, but on a business machines, which certainly have different impacts on how it is used etc. From my experience, some people DO mind if I install something.

3. Developers promised this feature 3 years ago - so I don't understand it is still not here. We have a common proverb, if you promise something twice it is as if you give it once :D

3. I don't really need U3, I need a simple portable mode. In fact, I use PortableApps.com on my flash disk, which is OK for me.

BTW, I really don't want to argue, it has no sense.
Martin, Ostrava, Czech Republic
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Anonymous wrote:3. I don't really need U3, I need a simple portable mode. In fact, I use PortableApps.com on my flash disk, which is OK for me.
So U3 installer is not requested, just support for storing configuration into the file instead of Registry. I hope Microsoft will come with some "portable apps" platform.

Post by Guest »

Jan Rysavy wrote:
Anonymous wrote:3. I don't really need U3, I need a simple portable mode. In fact, I use PortableApps.com on my flash disk, which is OK for me.
So U3 installer is not requested, just support for storing configuration into the file instead of Registry. I hope Microsoft will come with some "portable apps" platform.
Yes, I didn't mention this explicitly in my posts, which is of course my fault.
And IMHO, MS will never come with portable platform - why should he do that?