NagWare

This is a place for users to discuss Altap Salamander. Please feel free to ask, answer questions, and express your opinion. Please do not post problems, bug reports or feature requests here.
crywalt

NagWare

Post by crywalt »

I'm mildly annoyed. I like Altap Salamander. It's a great program. So great I paid for it. Sometime last year it started nagging me about upgrading to the beta. Okay. Then the beta would expire and demand that I upgrade to the next beta. Okay. Finally version 3 was released, and I updated to that. All along I imported the keys I got from paying for the program.

The new version wants me to pay for it again, so it has become AnnoyWare. Every time I got to use it I get a "please pay for this" pop-up. I'm only using version 3 because you nagged me into it, and now you're nagging me to pay for it?
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Re: NagWare

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Beta versions are time limited, it is industry standard.

Please return to Altap Salamander 2.54: ftp://ftp.altap.cz/pub/altap/salamand/as254.exe

Optional:
Disable new version checking using Options > Plugins Configuration > Check Version. Clear options Check for release versions of Altap Salamander and plugins and Check for beta versions of Altap Salamander and plugins. We don't update version 2.54, you will not need this information in case you don't want to upgrade to latest version.
crywalt

Post by crywalt »

The time-limited beta wasn't what I'm complaining about. It's more that version 2 nagged me into upgrading to the beta, which then nagged me into upgrading to version 3, which then has been nagging me to pay even though none of the previous nagging warned me version 3 wasn't included in the price I paid originally.

I fully understand wanting to get paid for the new version. What bugs me is this process of pushing paid users into the new version and *only then* letting them know it costs money.

I downgraded already, but not until after being nagged too many times.
Ether

Post by Ether »

It depends on how you read the window. I would read it as "Do you want to install some beta?" (instead of "You have to install the beta!") and if I wasn't a tester, I would say "No." by clicking on Configure and disabling beta and preview notifications.

My point is - if the window is really nagging (as in "annoying") you, you can disable it instead of installing all the new versions. (I disable all the new versions checks in every application I can, because it's annoying for me, too.)

It's true that it would've been better if there had been a warning that final v3.0 would've not accepted your keys, but I'm not sure how difficult is to check for that without actually upgrading Salamander (and the license checker with it).

* I'm really not sure about the past tenses.
Ελληνικά rulez.