How to Skip locked files while deleting

This is a place for users to discuss Altap Salamander. Please feel free to ask, answer questions, and express your opinion. Please do not post problems, bug reports or feature requests here.
docfxit

How to Skip locked files while deleting

Post by docfxit »

Is there some way of deleting all files in the temp directory while skipping the files that are locked. I frequently clear out the temp directory and a few others to keep systems running with less errors. There is always a varying number of files that are locked. I would like to find a way to skip the locked files.

Thank you,

Docfxit
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Are you deleting files using Recycle Bin or using Servant Salamander internal routine (look a Options > Configuration > Recycle Bin).

In the second case (Shift+Delete) there should be the "Skip All" button available in displayed confirmation.
docfxit

Post by docfxit »

Jan Rysavy wrote:Are you deleting files using Recycle Bin or using Servant Salamander internal routine (look a Options > Configuration > Recycle Bin).
I am using the option "Move all deleted files and directories to the Recycle Bin"
Jan Rysavy wrote:In the second case (Shift+Delete) there should be the "Skip All" button available in displayed confirmation.
Thank you for pointing that out. I would have never found it.

1. I always send files to the recycle bin just in case so I never would have thought to hold shift down to bypass the recycle bin.
2. If I did see the option to skip all I would have thought that meant to skip deleting all files instead of skip these warning messages. I had to actually run a test to see what it would do to figure out the buttons. It would be a lot clearer if there was a heading over the two buttons that said:
"Don't show this confirmation"
and then on one button it would say:
"This file only"
and on the other button it would say:
"For all files"

For people (Like me) that prefer to use the Recycle Bin it would be nice if there was an option in: Options, Configuration, Confirmations, Confirm On. That gave me the option to not show the "Access is Denied" window.

Thank you for a great program,

Docfxit
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

The problem with Recycle Bin implementation is lack of confirmations, skip all options, etc. Unfortunately we are not able to change behaviour in "Recycle Bin mode" because this operation is completely performed by Windows.

When you choose to bypass the Recycle Bin (using options or Shift+Delete), you are using internal Servant Salamander routine, which is more sophisticated.

It looks it will be better with Windows Vista: http://blogs.msdn.com/adam_nathan/archi ... 56308.aspx
docfxit

Post by docfxit »

Hi Jan,

Thank you for your help. I have come up with a solution that clears out a number of temp files in XP by making a batch file. I have emailed it to you just in case you would like to share it with your users.

Thank you,

Docfxit
jis

Re: How to Skip locked files while deleting

Post by jis »

docfxit wrote:Is there some way of deleting all files in the temp directory while skipping the files that are locked. I frequently clear out the temp directory and a few others to keep systems running with less errors. There is always a varying number of files that are locked. I would like to find a way to skip the locked files.
Try http://www.ccleaner.com/
Altap Salamander fan since 1998
docfxit

Post by docfxit »

Thanks for the suggestion. I have gotten burned with CCleaner. It deletes too much. If a person is going to use a program HDValet is a much better choice. I don't want an interactive program. I created a batch file that runs with no intervention so I can start it and leave (or go to sleep). After it deletes the temp files and cleans out the recycle bin it does a backup of any pc.

Thanks again,

Docfxit
SelfMan

Post by SelfMan »

If you want to know which program locks a file you can not delete, check out Unlocker http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

I would be very happy if Salamander could show the program which is locking the file which can not be deleted.
docfxit

Post by docfxit »

Thanks for the tip. I have been using a different program that shows me what is locking the files. Now that I know why all the files are locked I just wanted to delete the rest of the files that aren't locked and do my backup.

Thanks,

Docfxit
SelfMan

Post by SelfMan »

No problem...
As people already wrote here.... use "Shift+Delete".
I use that feature anyway. FYI its not a special feature of Salamander. Its directly in windows and deletes files without moving them in to the recycle bin.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

SelfMan wrote:No problem...
As people already wrote here.... use "Shift+Delete".
I use that feature anyway. FYI its not a special feature of Salamander. Its directly in windows and deletes files without moving them in to the recycle bin.
Yes, the Shift+Delete (don't use Recycle Bin) is a Windows shortcut. The problem is that (in W95-WinXP) there are not "All", "Skip All", etc. options available when operation is performed by Windows (it is not the Salamander case, where this situation is handled by own routine).
jis

Post by jis »

docfxit wrote:I have gotten burned with CCleaner. It deletes too much.
My advice for the first run of CC: Don't use default settings. Clear all checkboxes. Switch on prompting to backup registry issues. Then clean step by step: check one checkbox and do analyze, you can even jump to appropriate registry key via regedit for selected issue. Now I have selected all checkboxes in issues section without any worries. I have zero problems with CC. And I am not alone - over 19 million downloads say something. You can look into http://forum.ccleaner.com/ what are others saying and what problems they have. But, I cannot recommend any automatic cleaner for inexperience user. You must know what you do. If you don't know what are you doing, it can leads to disaster.
docfxit wrote:If a person is going to use a program HDValet is a much better choice.
I cannot agree. HDValet is from the year 1999 and do only subset from the first tab of CC. Last version of CC is from 3rd May 2006. It is actual cleaning tool for actual windows and applications.
docfxit wrote:I don't want an interactive program. I created a batch file that runs with no intervention so I can start it and leave (or go to sleep). After it deletes the temp files and cleans out the recycle bin it does a backup of any pc.
I have preset for windows cleaning according the picture from my previous post. I have nothing selected in the application section. I can start cleaning procedure whenever I want via keyboard shortcut:

Code: Select all

C:\Program Files\CCleaner\ccleaner.exe /AUTO
And there is no need to start cleaning and go to sleep - my routine cleaning with CC is done in a fraction of second.
Altap Salamander fan since 1998