How to search for a folder

This is a place for users to discuss Altap Salamander. Please feel free to ask, answer questions, and express your opinion. Please do not post problems, bug reports or feature requests here.
docfxit

How to search for a folder

Post by docfxit »

I would like to find out how to search for a folder called:
/ca/

I do want to search for the slashes.

Thanks,

Docfxit
SvA

Re: How to search for a folder

Post by SvA »

A backslash is an ilegal character for file and folder names. So. what exactly do you want to find:
  • a folder illegaly named '\ca\'
  • a folder named 'ca'
  • files and subfolders of a folder named 'ca'
An option to find (only) folders is, unfortunately, still missing in Salamander.
docfxit

Post by docfxit »

I need to find a folder called CA.
There are remnants of an antivirus called computer associates or Total Defense (when they changed their name). The easiest way to spot the software is the folder called CA. If Salamander can't find it do you know of another product that can?

Thank you,

Docfxit
Raptor

Post by Raptor »

Use Advanced option button and set "Directory" checkbox?
docfxit

Post by docfxit »

Raptor wrote:Use Advanced option button and set "Directory" checkbox?
When I have only the directory checkbox checked in black (not grey) and no other boxes checked and
do a search for CA it finds all directories with ca in the name. This certainly does narrow it down so it is a help.
What I really want is only directories that are named "CA" (without the quotes).

Thanks for the reply.

Docfxit
therube

Post by therube »

Everything is the only way to "search".
(With Everything, it's hardly a search at all ;-).)

Problem with Match path when search contains path separator

You can assign hotkeys, I use F5, to copy the full Path from Everything to the clipboard, then I jump to Salamander & Shift+INS to jump to the directory. (Or you could even set Salamander up as you "explorer" in Everything, then simply double-clicking on the path part of its listing would open Salamander focused on your wanted directory.)
WinXP Pro SP3 or Win7 x86 | SS 2.54
Raptor

Post by Raptor »

docfxit wrote: When I have only the directory checkbox checked in black (not grey) and no other boxes checked and
do a search for CA it finds all directories with ca in the name. This certainly does narrow it down so it is a help.
What I really want is only directories that are named "CA" (without the quotes).
So use a little trick and search for "CA." without quotes ;-)
docfxit

Post by docfxit »

Raptor wrote: So use a little trick and search for "CA." without quotes ;-)

That is exactly what I needed. It worked perfectly. Thank you very very much.

Docfxit
SvA

Post by SvA »

I am sorry I was ignorant of this option. I was absolutely certain it was not there. I am sorry I was selling you my ignorance as a lack in Salamander.
Raptor wrote:So use a little trick and search for "CA." without quotes ;-)
This is the 'official' way to do it according to Salamander's help (on the Name field).
docfxit

Post by docfxit »

SvA wrote:I am sorry I was ignorant of this option. I was absolutely certain it was not there. I am sorry I was selling you my ignorance as a lack in Salamander.
Raptor wrote:So use a little trick and search for "CA." without quotes ;-)
This is the 'official' way to do it according to Salamander's help (on the Name field).
No need to be sorry. Everyone doesn't know everything. I'm really glade an answer came through. Now we both know a little more.

Thanks for your help,

Docfxit