version 3.0 disappoinments

This is a place for users to discuss Altap Salamander. Please feel free to ask, answer questions, and express your opinion. Please do not post problems, bug reports or feature requests here.
legoxx

version 3.0 disappoinments

Post by legoxx »

Hello guys,

i am long time user of altap salamander, way from version 1.0,

i tried to jump on train and try version 3.0 preview,

after seen what is in and consulting roadmap, i must say i am disappointed with where the development is heading.

from user perspective it was difficult to find what is new (comparing to 2.x)

it's great that you are switching to 64bit and new VC but well i would like to have some features for users:

- pack/unpack operations still not working in background
- copy in background possible is still hidden in "Advanced" button and we have to enable it for every copy operation again and again
- still problems with some UTF file names that are possible to open in explorer but not in salamander (strange is that F2 is working on them, F2 no)

so ... what is for a user catch to upgrade from 2.x to 3.x after lot of years of development?
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Re: version 3.0 disappoinments

Post by Jan Rysavy »

We understand x64 version or UAC support is not for everyone. Unfortunately it is work that has to be done. Another similar task is the Unicode support.
Ether

Re: version 3.0 disappoinments

Post by Ether »

legoxx wrote:- copy in background possible is still hidden in "Advanced" button and we have to enable it for every copy operation again and again
I have to point out that copying, moving and deleting "in background" is enabled by default and can't be disabled - this means that you can Minimize any of these operations and continue with your work in Salamander. On the other hand, queuing copy and move operations needs to be enabled explicitly, mostly because there's no reliable way to know which operation would slow down another or which depends on which. You can also make queuing default using the small arrow inside the Options button.

I don't mean to dismiss your complaint (regarding the speed of development) in any way by this post though.
Ελληνικά rulez.