Changing the default folders in each panel

This is a place for users to discuss Altap Salamander. Please feel free to ask, answer questions, and express your opinion. Please do not post problems, bug reports or feature requests here.
jadag

Changing the default folders in each panel

Post by jadag »

Hi All,

Whenever I launch Salamander, both the left and right panels always open in the same folders (each one different).

Is there a way I can change Salamander so that each panel always open in the folders of my choice?

Thanks in anticipation.

Regards - Jadag
If you know you're going to lose - lose quickly!
SvA

Re: Changing the default folders in each panel

Post by SvA »

Salamander in it's default configuration saves all it's options and state at program exit. The next time you start it the panels show the same path as when you left Salamander.
Two reasons come to mind as to why your panels always start up with the same paths:
  1. You have turned off automatic configuration saving at exit. Check Options | Configuration... | General | Save configuration on exit
  2. The shortcut you use to launch Salamander has the paths configured in as command line parameters
So, depending on whether you want Salamander to use fixed paths or the ones used lately and whether you want Salamander to save it's state on exit or not, configure Salamander and/or the shortcut accordingly.
If you have turned off automatic configuration saving and want it to remain off, instead of modifying the shortcut(s) you may
  • Run a new instance of Salamander ( in order to not change other settings accidentally)
  • Change panels to the path it should start up in
  • select Options | Save Configuration from the menu
jadag

Post by jadag »

Still not working.

1. Checked configuration - it was set to save on exit
2. Checked path in properties of the launch icon. Nothing set there
3. Restarted with C:\Program Files in the left panel and D:\ in the right panel. Still opens in the same (unwanted) paths as before
4. Changed the properties in the "Target" field to - "C:\Program Files\] Dir - File Managers\Dir - Explorers\Salamander 2.53\salamand.exe -L C:\Program Files". Comes up with an error message when I save;
Salamander.jpg
Salamander.jpg (18 KiB) Viewed 8952 times
Any advice appreciated.

Regards - Jadag
Ether

Post by Ether »

You have to enclose paths with spaces inside in double-quotes, like this:

Code: Select all

"C:\Program Files\] Dir - File Managers\Dir - Explorers\Salamander 2.53\salamand.exe" -L "C:\Program Files"
Ελληνικά rulez.
SvA

Post by SvA »

Ok, something is just not right.

Of course you might be able to fix the symptom (this symptom) by getting the shortcut right, but something different is not working correctly. Salamander either cannot save or load it's configuration or the registry is altered in between. Do you have any "registry protection" tool running? If yes trash it!

I suggest you check reg:\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Altap\Altap Salamander 2.53\Left Panel\Path and reg:\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Altap\Altap Salamander 2.53\Right Panel\Path whether they represent the path you had opened in each panel respectively before you last closed Salamander.

If you do not have a registry guard, try with anti virus turned off. if this still does not help, save salamander's configuration, then delete it from the registry (Delete "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Altap\Altap Salamander 2.53" and everything below from regedit with no Salamander window open.) This resets Salamander to default values. If it works now, try reloading the saved configuration and see whether this breaks it again.
jadag

Post by jadag »

Thank you Ether!

I went to the icon\Properties\Target and changed the path as you suggested to;

"C:\Program Files\] Dir - File Managers\Dir - Explorers\Salamander 2.53\salamand.exe" -L "C:\Program Files" -R "D:\"

Now each panel opens in the specified directory every time.

Also thanks SvA for taking the time to to try and solve the problem.

Regards from South Africa

Jadag