Archive size limitations

This is a place for users to discuss Altap Salamander. Please feel free to ask, answer questions, and express your opinion. Please do not post problems, bug reports or feature requests here.
VBDavie

Archive size limitations

Post by VBDavie »

Let's say I have a 2.6GB TAR file compressed into a 2.1GB BZ2 file. So basically a bunch of files compressed to TAR and then the TAR is compressed to BZ2.

If I want to see the files in the TAR file, does it have to first extrtact the 2.6BG TAR file into a temp file, before I can see the files?

WinZip and WinRAR do this and if you don't have enough free disk space, you end up being screwed :(

I hope you see what I am saying

Davie
Tomas Kopal
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Re: Archive size limitations

Post by Tomas Kopal »

VBDavie wrote:If I want to see the files in the TAR file, does it have to first extrtact the 2.6BG TAR file into a temp file, before I can see the files?
It has to extract the bzip, but not to temp directory, nor to memory. It just decompress the file on the fly and parses the contents.
VBDavie wrote:WinZip and WinRAR do this and if you don't have enough free disk space, you end up being screwed :(
Don't worry, you should not be screwed with Salamander, we do it the right way :-). Be warned though, it will take a long time for a file of such size, as the decompression can't be avoided, due to the character of the archive.
I must admit I haven't tested archives of this size, so if you hit any problems, let me know...