Status

This is a place for users to discuss Altap Salamander. Please feel free to ask, answer questions, and express your opinion. Please do not post problems, bug reports or feature requests here.
vld

Status

Post by vld »

I've been checking in every so often and I see nothing new. What is going on with Salamander? How soon before an x64 version comes out? Other then "It's on the Roadmap", is there anything new?
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Re: Status

Post by Jan Rysavy »

We have summer slowdown right now (vacation). We switched from old CVS to Mercurial source control system and we are very happy with HG.
Also SWREG (our e-commerce reseller) is doing changes in database and reporting systems and we must change our side of purchasing infrastructure :(
As soon as we will finish plugins translation from VS 6 to VS 2008 (Altap Salamander core is already translated), we plan to release beta version.
vld

Post by vld »

I sincerely with all these delays and excuses that the x64 version will be worth the wait. Salamander is way behind the times and TotalCommander is way ahead. There are many time I wanted to make the switch and start customizing TC for my own use, but I am loyal to Salamander and decided to wait. But the hindrance/limitations of this 32bit application on x64 system is making me lean toward a move. I suppose I can stick with Salamander for x86 systems, but they will be obsolete soon anyways as well as will Salamander. Sorry if am being harsh, but your can only "cry wolf" so many times.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Yes, we understand, looking forward to x64 version.
omega

Post by omega »

Many of us are waitng excitingly for the beta release. Can we expect the beta to be ready in Aug / Sept?
SelfMan

Post by SelfMan »

omega wrote:Many of us are waitng excitingly for the beta release. Can we expect the beta to be ready in Aug / Sept?
Its the same old story. Problems can and will allways arise so I believe the answer is "when its done".
Hey, don't be sad. Look how long it took to bring Duke Nukem Forever to life :-)
vld

Post by vld »

SelfMan wrote:
omega wrote:Many of us are waitng excitingly for the beta release. Can we expect the beta to be ready in Aug / Sept?
Its the same old story. Problems can and will allways arise so I believe the answer is "when its done".
Hey, don't be sad. Look how long it took to bring Duke Nukem Forever to life :-)
This isn't Duke Nukem and that's a HORSESHIT of a response that will force me to shelf Servant Salamander more sooner then later. Wake up and get with the real world.
SelfMan

Post by SelfMan »

vld wrote:
SelfMan wrote:
This isn't Duke Nukem and that's a HORSESHIT of a response that will force me to shelf Servant Salamander more sooner then later. Wake up and get with the real world.
First of all, I am not a developer - so no OFFICIAL RESPONSE. Second, what YOU do is your choice. And third, please stop being rude.
The developemnt cycle of Salamander was slow from the beginning. Most of us can deal with it. The main reason is that Salamander is the most stable and nearly bug-free utility I've ever known. All thanks to the extensive quality control. One other thing is how fast do Altap developers respnd to questions and problems.
vld

Post by vld »

Dude...I have not yet began to be rude. If you aren't a developer and have no authority to have an "OFFICIAL RESPONSE" from Altap, then clam it shut. Jan has already made an official response and tones like yours will definately move people away from the product.

...and NO...Salamander STILL has bugs.
omega

Post by omega »

Loyal fans will not put this fantastic file manager in the shelf that quickly right? :) Jan already said the core has been translated, so what's left are the plugins.

All software will always have bugs, but Salamander is a very stable program just like other file managers something we all can agree with.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

More about VS6 -> VS2008 translation: http://forum.altap.cz/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4371
omega

Post by omega »

The last update goes back to February with a list of finished plugins and the core of salamander. Can you give us a new list of the finished parts?