Newbie has some very basic questions

This is a place for users to discuss Altap Salamander. Please feel free to ask, answer questions, and express your opinion. Please do not post problems, bug reports or feature requests here.
nmccamy

Newbie has some very basic questions

Post by nmccamy »

I have been using SS for a long time now, about 10 minutes. :D
I've been evaluating Directory Opus for a couple of weeks, and one word keeps popping up in my head as I use it. Clunky!
It is also disorganized and not well designed. I don't like it!

I am now evaluating SS. The first thing that struck me was the lack of a full directory tree (all drive trees displayed). I feel straght-jacketed right off the bat. Is there a way to display the full tree?

I have a dream funtionality that nobody has yet to implement, but I would think would be very powerful and used all the time. The concept is quite simple.
What I would love to be able to do is select a source folder, Ctrl-c to copy it, select a destination, and Ctrl-v to paste with the following rules:

1. Non-existing files would be copied.
2. Existing files would be overwritten automatically if the source file is newer than the destination file.

These rules of course could be customized.

What is the closest thing to achieve my "dream" within SS? (I want simple, quick solutions).

The guys at Directory Opus went on and on about how powerful and flexible their program is, but every "solution" they had for my "dream function" was clunky and ineffiecient.

The next best thing would be for the Confirm File Overwrite dialog box to have an extra button that would follow the above mentioned rules (and allow its behavior to be modified via customization).
Jan Patera
Plugin Developer
Plugin Developer

Re: Newbie has some very basic questions

Post by Jan Patera »

nmccamy wrote:I have been using SS for a long time now, about 10 minutes. :D
Hmmm, Can you please tell us which version are you evaluating? SS was renamed to AS already 3 years and 11 months ago.
nmccamy

Post by nmccamy »

I kept seeing SS in the forum over and over again, I guess it just stuck! Whatever the name of this progam is (AS ?), I downloaded the latest and greatest on March 14, 2011.
Slanec

Post by Slanec »

nmccamy wrote:1. Non-existing files would be copied.
2. Existing files would be overwritten automatically if the source file is newer than the destination file.
These rules of course could be customized.
What is the closest thing to achieve my "dream" within SS? (I want simple, quick solutions).
This is easily done by Copy (F5) from one panel to another:
- In the Copy dialog, open Options and check "Overwrite older and skip other existing files without asking" (Alt+O, Alt+V)
- You can even set this setting as default (click the arrow next to Options button in Copy dialog)

What you are asking, is a way to filter copied files into system clipboard. And that would be a hell of an uncommon function. When I copy something by Ctrl+C, it is likely I know what I am doing and that I really want to copy all selected files. If you want to filter those, you have those options:
1a) Don't select everything, but just the files you want.
1b) Use Compare directories (Ctrl+F10), that filters the missing and newer files for you.
2) Use F5, the strong Copy dialog capable of everything you need just by pressing one button.
nmccamy wrote:Is there a way to display the full tree?
As far as I know, there no way to do it. Maybe there is a plugin somewhere, but if it is the case, it is old and buried somewhere.
nmccamy

Post by nmccamy »

0001.jpg
0001.jpg (76.63 KiB) Viewed 15879 times
Looks like somebody was reading my mind! :D
Slanec

Post by Slanec »

nmccamy wrote:Looks like somebody was reading my mind! :D
Attachments
Yup.
Yup.
Clipbrd1.jpg (37.28 KiB) Viewed 15878 times
nmccamy

Post by nmccamy »

Slanec says:

"What you are asking, is a way to filter copied files into system clipboard. And that would be a hell of an uncommon function."

Hello! That's why they invented preferences! Everyone has their own!
Ether

Post by Ether »

nmccamy wrote:Hello! That's why they invented preferences! Everyone has their own!
No need to be over-enthusiastic, I think everyone here is aware of this fact. Slanec was simply pointing out that the feature - the way you described it in your first post - isn't very likely to be implemented.

Regarding your feature request - since you obviously were satisfied with TC's option to 'Overwrite all older', I'd like to know your opinion on Salamander's 'Overwrite older and skip other' option (the image was posted by Slanec).
Ελληνικά rulez.
nmccamy

Post by nmccamy »

0001.jpg
0001.jpg (40.81 KiB) Viewed 15841 times
When I drag and drop a folder to a destination where there are existing files, the above dialog boxes are what I see.
I have never seen the Copy dialog box you guys are talking about. It would be nice, looks like it has what I want.

How do I see the Copy dialog box?
nmccamy

Post by nmccamy »

I like what I see so far, but I still have some questions.

1. Is there a way to display the full tree including all drives?
2. How do I get the right pane to show the files contained in the folder selected in the left pane?
3. I've created a sub-menu but cannot figure out how to add anything to it. In configuration, when I select Submenu End, everything is disabled.
nmccamy

Post by nmccamy »

OK, F5 is the ticket. I see that now. Cool! :D
nmccamy

Post by nmccamy »

Things brings up the question about consistency.

When I drag and drop a folder from the left pane to the right pane, why don't I get the Copy dialog box?
nmccamy

Post by nmccamy »

I know how to load the sub-menus now. I like that feature!
nmccamy

Post by nmccamy »

There's something that really bugs me.

You guys have never selected a folder, then Ctrl-c, then Ctrl-v at the destination? It is almost a must in Windows Explorer.
Perhaps you are used to the dual directory that Windows Explorer has never had.
I'm not used to this paradigm. It'll take time to get used to it!
Slanec

Post by Slanec »

F5 is the ticket
Yes, F5 is the answer.
nmccamy wrote:1. Is there a way to display the full tree including all drives?
2. How do I get the right pane to show the files contained in the folder selected in the left pane?
3. I've created a sub-menu but cannot figure out how to add anything to it. In configuration, when I select Submenu End, everything is disabled.
1. That would be a NO from me.
2. Ctrl+Shift+RightArrow / Ctrl+Shift+LeftArrow - try both under different circumstances, both has its use in both panels and behaves a little bit differently (there also is Help for this, you know ;) )
3. ---
nmccamy wrote:When I drag and drop a folder from the left pane to the right pane, why don't I get the Copy dialog box?
About consistency - that, in fact, is a pretty valid question. I will leave most of it to AS developers, but will give you (and myself, too) a hint. It seems to me that everything tries to behave Explorer-like. Until you try the functions Explorer does not have, those behave ... well ... AS-like. I think the developers consider drag'n'drop a good enough confirmation that you really want to copy and don't bother you with additional dialogs. A pity.
nmccamy wrote:You guys have never selected a folder, then Ctrl-c, then Ctrl-v at the destination?
On my machines, almost never. Really. In the old times, there was Norton Commander. On Unix-like systems, there is Midnight Commander (and shell, obviously). Also, Salamander, Total Commander and other orthodox file managers have been there for a loooong time now. Copy and Paste has its limited uses, yes, but when I want to do something meaningful, F5 (or F6) has been the only choice for years now. You will get used to it :).