Salamander imitators & also-rans.

This is a place for users to discuss Altap Salamander. Please feel free to ask, answer questions, and express your opinion. Please do not post problems, bug reports or feature requests here.
gregzeng

Salamander imitators & also-rans.

Post by gregzeng »

The following was posted for open general public discussion:
https://www.reddit.com/r/altap_salamand ... _alsorans/

In Windows, nothing compares. In Linux, Salamander will work with WINE ok. As usual, WINE has font & theming problems. But it "works".

Linux is used when Microsoft Windows is buggy. My 4 TB SSD laptops generally have two intact working Windows-10 systems, and at least two Linux working systems.

All operating systems are easy & very quickly booting, from the easily created & modified "Menu" presented by Linux's "Grub Customizer". My Linux distros generally include FX Linux, Mint Linux & KDE NEON. These are all based on Ubuntu, so are generally running the very latest, stable Linux kernel available from Ubuntu ("Index of /~kernel-ppa/mainline").

My preferred Linux file managers include Dolphin and Nemo as a second runner. Linux, however needs "PCMAN" and "THUNAR", because none in Linux know what a good file manager can do. "Thunar" alone can do WYSIWYG file renaming in Linux. So ALL files & folders in my Microsoft Windows systems have "Initial Capitals". This cannot be done to any Linux files, since Linux is not designed for humans, only computers.

"Initial Capitals" on files & folders allows it easy to spot crazy programmers' files. If you use Salamander, these crazed folders & files can be easily spotted. In most of my main folders are four "markers", folders & files:

Zz Newest Folder.zzz, Zz Oldest Folder.zzz, Zz Newest File Zzzz, Zz Oldest File Zzzz

The "oldest" is always with a modification date of the year: "9999".

The "newest" always has a modification date of the year: "1601".

With one click of the "date icon" in the Salamander tool bars, these marker files become obvious. These marker files are distinctly different to the other files & folders.

Salamander can hide & show any files & folders to be visible or not, in Linux as well. Shortcuts work ok in both types of operating systems also; not perfectly, but just ok.
Retired (1985) Chief Information Officer, Australian Capital Territory.