Future development after Acquired by Fine?

This is a place for users to discuss Altap Salamander. Please feel free to ask, answer questions, and express your opinion. Please do not post problems, bug reports or feature requests here.
tjsuominen

Future development after Acquired by Fine?

Post by tjsuominen »

Hi!

First of all, I have been using Total Commander for 15+ years and just recently discovered Altap Salamander - and I have decided to give Altap a try and it looks very promising. For me (even with free or OpenSource sw), developer activity and response to users inquiries plays important role. Therefore I would like to ask:

- how shall the Altap Salamander development continue from now on?
- Developer activity in the forums?

All the best and keep up the great work.

BR,
Timo
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Re: Future development after Acquired by Fine?

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Hi Timo,

We would like to improve PictView and 7-Zip plugins. Open source both plugins, rewrite PictView to a new image engine, upgrade 7-Zip to latest 7-Zip version and start handling all supported formats. We can open source other plugins too, it depends on demand... let us know what you are looking for.

For now we don't plan to open source Altap Salamander core.
tjsuominen

Post by tjsuominen »

Thx for the reply.

I was looking more like a generic answer (not yet a "feature based") about the continuity of the support and development (e.g. maintenance/bugfix releases) and so forth. I'm sure that especially after the acquisition such a generic statement would do good for current (and future) users :)

And yes, I might have some requests too after playing it a couple of weeks.

//timo
omega

Post by omega »

Why would you as a long time TC user switch over to Salamander now that the development of the core program has come to a complete halt?
I find it rather strange that all of a sudden new users giving this program a try after news broke out that this file manager became freeware, at a time when no new functionalities will be added to the core in the foreseeable future. Have i got news for the newbies here, requests for new features will be thrown out of the window lol. From now on only plugins can be open sourced and users can add new features to it or create their own plugins.

TC users are lucky with Ghisler, the guy fix and add new stuff really quickly and constantly updates the program. So why you are switching over is beyond me :)
tjsuominen

Post by tjsuominen »

Short answer: simply because there are some implementations in Salamander I like better.

Long answer: later after proper evaluation :D