Automatic spin-up of an external disk

This is a place for users to discuss Altap Salamander. Please feel free to ask, answer questions, and express your opinion. Please do not post problems, bug reports or feature requests here.
Slanec

Automatic spin-up of an external disk

Post by Slanec »

Not a feature request, not bug - I am just curious about the technical background

External discs tend to shut down after a while under Windows. When I switch to that disc in Salamander, the last path is cached and instantly accesible. When I try to access anything, the disc has to spin-up and that, of course, causes a one second lag. It's annoying, but it's a less than minor problem and I am not certain whether it could be solved.

Is it technically possible to make it spin-up on the access of the cached path (by refreshing contents of the panel) ... on the background?
therube

Re: Automatic spin-up of an external disk

Post by therube »

I would think that either you wouldn't want your drives to go to sleep, or that you would want them to not awaken - inadvertently.

You could always extend the sleep timeout period so that the drive would be less likely to sleep during "usage".

On my slow & overtaxed computer & with an external USB HDD attached, awakening from sleep takes well more then 1 second all the while impacting machine responsiveness (the little that there is ;-)).

(It has always been my theory that lots of sleep/awaken cycles are bad for a HDD.)

Let Sleeping Dogs Lie
WinXP Pro SP3 or Win7 x86 | SS 2.54
Ether

Re: Automatic spin-up of an external disk

Post by Ether »

Although it does probably affect the validity of your request, I have to agree with therube and say I'd very much like not to wake up my drives and Salamander is mostly helping (but Windows is constantly ruining my efforts).
Ελληνικά rulez.