Can Salamander be set as default file browser from apps?

This is a place for users to discuss Altap Salamander. Please feel free to ask, answer questions, and express your opinion. Please do not post problems, bug reports or feature requests here.
Setmose

Can Salamander be set as default file browser from apps?

Post by Setmose »

For example, I'm on a page in a SharePoint portal, and I launch a Browse command to find a file to upload. Can Salamander be set so that it, not Windows Explorer, is used as the default file browsing functionality?
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Re: Can Salamander be set as default file browser from apps?

Post by Jan Rysavy »

No, such system "hack" is not supported.
Ether

Re: Can Salamander be set as default file browser from apps?

Post by Ether »

I think it would be possible by replacing the default handler of "Folder". The following registry file should work, but maybe you'll need to delete the other values residing somewhere in the Folder\shell key. Also, you have to change the path to Salamander if you installed it in another location than the one used in the file. If anyone's up to the task of testing it, just let me know how it worked. (I used Sandboxie for my testing environment.)

IMPORTANT: this WILL BREAK your Explorer and if you don't make a backup of those keys, you may end up having to reinstall Windows. This hack is not supported by Altap nor Microsoft. :IMPORTANT

Code: Select all

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\explore\command]
@="C:\\Program Files\\Altap Salamander\\salamand.exe -O -L %1"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\open\command]
@="C:\\Program Files\\Altap Salamander\\salamand.exe -O -L %1"
Ελληνικά rulez.