Several installations of 2.53 in parallel

This is a place for users to discuss Altap Salamander. Please feel free to ask, answer questions, and express your opinion. Please do not post problems, bug reports or feature requests here.
Klaus

Several installations of 2.53 in parallel

Post by Klaus »

Good afternoon,

is there a possibility to install the Salamander twice with two different registry keys?
I know it is possible to start the Salamander with the -C option, but what I want is to have two separated Salamanders saving their current configuration when leaving the program. The -C option only overwrites the one and only registrykey!-(.

Thanks for your ideas
Klaus
SelfMan

Re: Several installations of 2.53 in parallel

Post by SelfMan »

A not so nice workaround would be to create a new user account and run the Salamander with "run as...". This way is the registrity naturally separated.
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

Hello SelfMan,

did not think at this solution even if it is, as you already said, not the smartest one. At least for two different Salamanders it is quite handy.
The best would be to have a situation as I had when 2.51, 2.52, 2.53 beta and 2.53 were installed. You get used to it having one Salamander as private, one as professional, one for documents, and so on.

Thanks
Klaus
SelfMan

Post by SelfMan »

Klaus wrote:Hello SelfMan,

did not think at this solution even if it is, as you already said, not the smartest one. At least for two different Salamanders it is quite handy.
The best would be to have a situation as I had when 2.51, 2.52, 2.53 beta and 2.53 were installed. You get used to it having one Salamander as private, one as professional, one for documents, and so on.

Thanks
Klaus
I've never had the need for multiple instances of Salamander with separate configurations. And I am working with Salamander for years. Still there might be a place for configuration profiles, where a command line switch could be used. Like common work vs work over terminal server/remote desktop. As for your kind of use - I would point my focus toward "Hot paths" and a custom "User menu". I for example use the user menu for quick access to the network shares on remote servers. I was tired to enter the IP addresses trough Shift+F7 every time, so I've modified the user menu.
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

SelfMan wrote:
I've never had the need for multiple instances of Salamander with separate configurations. And I am working with Salamander for years. Still there might be a place for configuration profiles, where a command line switch could be used. Like common work vs work over terminal server/remote desktop. As for your kind of use - I would point my focus toward "Hot paths" and a custom "User menu". I for example use the user menu for quick access to the network shares on remote servers. I was tired to enter the IP addresses trough Shift+F7 every time, so I've modified the user menu.
I do use Hot Paths and the User Menus as well. But I use my computer for many things like work, photo, film and music treatment and database development. For every activity I use different directories and different programs (that means different menus). If I put everything in one User Menu this would be probably over charged. Also the ten entries for the Hot Paths are not sufficient for me. The point is that you can start the Salamander with a reg file using the -C parameter, but this overwrites the current registry key meaning the current setting.
I thing the best will be that I put this into the wished features list.

Cheers
Klaus
SelfMan

Post by SelfMan »

Don't worry, I don't want to downplay your usage skills.
Like I said, it would be nice to have a "profile" switch.

@Jan, how much work would this require?

Imagine that "[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Altap\Altap Salamander x,xx]" would be default to maintain the backwards compatibility as till now and you could have a new key "[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Altap\Altap Salamander\Profiles]
where "[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Altap\Altap Salamander\Profiles\<profile name>]" would get the profile name from command line and if not specified a default configuration would be loaded i.e. "[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Altap\Altap Salamander\Build\2.53]".

You could also use this location for a configuration backup. Meaning - before write, create a backup of the config. This way a config-undo would be posible too.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

It would be possible, but we are really weak in predicting needed time :(
I guess a week or two of work.
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

Thanks for your help so far.
So I will wait if you will include this feature in a future version.
therube

Post by therube »

On a slight different tangent ...

INI files vs. Windows Registry, Portable ...

U3

salaPortable

Portabel SS needs Portabel Settings

portable SS

Seem to recall some threads where seemingly the person did have some sort of portable version working?
WinXP Pro SP3 or Win7 x86 | SS 2.54
oxman

Post by oxman »

I want this feature too, its a must have for this application, I'll buy it with this feature :)