Search Files In Microsoft Office Documents

This is a place for users to discuss Altap Salamander. Please feel free to ask, answer questions, and express your opinion. Please do not post problems, bug reports or feature requests here.
fc62

Search Files In Microsoft Office Documents

Post by fc62 »

I frequently use Altap salamander Search Files checking the box "Find Text" in order to find document containing some specific words. It is very usefull specially in Excel, when you need to find formulas with links to various documents.
Unfortunately the function Find Text seems works only with 2003 Office documents with old extension, for example ".xls" or ".doc". I tried to use the same function on a new Office 2007 document ".xlsx" or ".docx" but it seems doesn't perform.
If you save for example two Excel documents containing the word "Home", one with extension ".xls" and the other with ".xlsx", the searching with "Find Text" selected will give result only in the first document with ".xls" extension.
Is there a solution to this issue?
Many thanks
Slanec

Re: Search Files In Microsoft Office Documents

Post by Slanec »

Unfortunately, the .xlsx and .docx formats are basically a zip file which, obviously, destroys all the text inside for compression. The only solution I can think of is to use the old-good .xls and .doc formats...
Ether

Re: Search Files In Microsoft Office Documents

Post by Ether »

It is probably much better to use Windows Search which utilizes the Indexing Service if you want to search in the content of complex files like Word documents.
Ελληνικά rulez.