Use File Comparator from outside AS

This is a place for users to discuss Altap Salamander. Please feel free to ask, answer questions, and express your opinion. Please do not post problems, bug reports or feature requests here.
mdruiter

Use File Comparator from outside AS

Post by mdruiter »

I have noticed that the File Comparator plugin works better than WinMerge in some cases. :D
I would like to use it from outside Salamander. Is that possible? I suppose not...
Jan Patera
Plugin Developer
Plugin Developer

Re: Use File Comparator from outside AS

Post by Jan Patera »

mdruiter wrote:I have noticed that the File Comparator plugin works better than WinMerge in some cases. :D
I would like to use it from outside Salamander. Is that possible? I suppose not...
Well, yes and no. Have you tried plugins\filecomp\filecomp.exe?
mdruiter

Post by mdruiter »

Jan, I'm not sure what you mean. I only have plugins\filecomp\filecomp.spl (and plugins\filecomp\lang\english.slg).
I also tried to rename the .spl to .exe as it looks like a normal executable, but Windows says it's not a valid Win32 application if I run it.
Jan Patera
Plugin Developer
Plugin Developer

Post by Jan Patera »

mdruiter wrote:Jan, I'm not sure what you mean. I only have plugins\filecomp\filecomp.spl (and plugins\filecomp\lang\english.slg).
I also tried to rename the .spl to .exe as it looks like a normal executable, but Windows says it's not a valid Win32 application if I run it.
Ah, it seems it is not part of the official distribution. I saw it in my 2.52 folder, therefore I thought it was there.
Anyway, filecomp.exe launches Salamander, if not running yet, and opens FileCompare window with the 2 files specified on its command-line. Would this be enough for you?
mdruiter

Post by mdruiter »

I would be honored to test it out. :P
I'm trying to find a good file comparator to use from Visual SourceSafe. WinMerge is ok but gets confused on some files. I like what the File Comparator does in most cases.
Brett

Post by Brett »

Have you tried Beyond Compare from Scooter Software ? We use that extensively (in a non-AS scope and in conjunction with SourceGear Fortress) and it is great.

Cheers,
Brett
mdruiter

Post by mdruiter »

I really like using filecomp.exe, why not distribute it along with Salamander?
Ether

Post by Ether »

Seems like we're also mentioning our favorite file comparison software in this thread, so I'm gonna add TortoiseMerge (distributed with e.g. TortoiseSVN) which also allows you to edit one of the files (manually and/or by copying parts of text from the other file) and somehow handles .diff files (I haven't tested that yet).
Ελληνικά rulez.