Hot Paths - Need More Than 10

This is a place for users to discuss Altap Salamander. Please feel free to ask, answer questions, and express your opinion. Please do not post problems, bug reports or feature requests here.
jadag

Hot Paths - Need More Than 10

Post by jadag »

I need to have about 20 hot path items. Would love to see the "Hot Paths" feature supporting folders and sub-folders.

I tried to use the "User Menu" feature but it opens the selected folders in explorer instead of in the Salamander panes.

Am I doing something wrong or is there a setting I need to tick?
If you know you're going to lose - lose quickly!
th.

Re: Hot Paths - Need More Than 10

Post by th. »

Having more hot paths available has been a feature request for quite some time but is not on the current roadmap (http://www.altap.cz/salam_en/newver.html).
There is a way to create hot path surrogates in the user menu (it's somewhere on the forum :) ).

But after the new Automation plugin was introduced in version 2.53 beta 1 there are better ways to get more hot paths.
See http://forum.altap.cz/viewtopic.php?f=4 ... =15#p19311 for examples.
ino

Post by ino »

jadag wrote:I need to have about 20 hot path items. Would love to see the "Hot Paths" feature supporting folders and sub-folders.

I tried to use the "User Menu" feature but it opens the selected folders in explorer instead of in the Salamander panes.

Am I doing something wrong or is there a setting I need to tick?
The "User Menu" can be used for storing shortcuts BUT you have to configure it correctly. Following how to uses any just created item in User Menu Bar:

PREPARE BOOKMARK
1) Go to the directory you want to create bookmark from

2) Drag and drop any file from that directory to the "User Menu Bar"
(this will be used to simplifying whole configuration process)

3) Right-click on the User Menu Bar and select "Customize Toolbar.." OR open configuration dialog from Salamender menu -> Options -> Configuration.. Find the "User Menu" section and then your item in "Menu Contents"

4) Highlight your new item in the list "Menu Contents"
(double click the item to rename it, use Alt+Up or Down arrow to move it across the list)

CONFIGURE COMMAND FIELD
5) Copy content of the "Command:" field without the file name
(this will be used as path to your targed directory of your bookmark)

6) Still in the field "Command:" field - write there "$(SalDir)\salamand.exe"
(this path will be always valid even you had or will install any beta or preview versions of Salamander)

CONFIGURE ARGUMENTS
7) Into the field "Arguments:" type -O -A "here_paste_path_of_target_directory"
(you have copied the target directory from "Commands" field - without the file name! Switch -O force to use already opened Salamander instance, switch -A is for active panel, or you can use -L for Left panel or -R for Right panel to force bookmark to be opened in selected panel)

ADDITIONAL CONFIGURATION
8) assign icon you like using the "Change Icon" button
(you can use icon library file C:\%windir%\system32\SHELL32.DLL )

9) as pjj mentioned bellow it is good idea to disable splash screen - in "Configuration" window find "Main Window" category and uncheck "Show splash screen at startup"
(you will not be disturbed by the splash each time you click on your bookmark AND as well during Salamander startup)

10) Close "Configuration" window and Save the configuration - go to menu Options -> Save Configuration...
(save it and even better export it as a backup of OS crash!)

NOTE: There is little disadvantage: in case of running multiple salamander instances such bookmark will be opened inside the first instance.

EDITED: made the howto easier to follow ;-)
Last edited by ino on 14 Apr 2010, 06:57, edited 4 times in total.
pjj

Post by pjj »

ino,

many thanks for your explanations! Now I can cook with power, i.e. switch directories much faster. However, as I found your manual a tad fuzzy, I had to monkey with my AS for a while, so let me rephrase your advice in order to save another users 10 minutes of their time:
1) Command: full path to AS, e.g. "C:\Program Files\Altap Salamander\salamand.exe" (in quotes!)
2) Arguments: -O -A "full_path_to_target_directory"
3) Initial directory: e.g. $(FullPath)

I use -A to open desired directory into active panel (seems most natural, I daresay).

Due to the very nature of this approach I switched off "Show splash screen at startup" (Configuration > Main window), as I cannot see command line switch with the same effect.
jadag

Post by jadag »

Thanks pjj, it works great and it was easy to follow your instructions.

Tony

Johannesburg South Africa
If you know you're going to lose - lose quickly!
ino

Post by ino »

pjj wrote:However, as I found your manual a tad fuzzy, I had to monkey with my AS for a while..
PJJ,

I am so sorry for confusing you (and the others as well). I forgot to mention that I started from drag and dropped item to the User Menu Bar...

I have just fixed my post.

Note: about the proper path to the salamander.exe the best solution is to use $(SalDir)\salamand.exe instead hard coded full path...
pjj

Post by pjj »

ino wrote:I am so sorry for confusing you (and the others as well). I forgot to mention that I started from drag and dropped item to the User Menu Bar...
Hey, no need to be sorry! I'm really thankful (and I guess others are as well) for your tips, which are very helpful. I even think your post should be copied to "Some productivity tips" thread (small note: in point 6 quotes seem not to be really necessary, do they?)
ino wrote:Note: about the proper path to the salamander.exe the best solution is to use $(SalDir)\salamand.exe instead hard coded full path...
Right! I changed it in my AS. Thanks!
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

From AS 3.01 there will be available 30 Hot Paths.
Andre.Ziegler

Post by Andre.Ziegler »

nice improvement :) 10 was a bit small.
"Theory is when you know something, but it doesn't work. Practice is when something works, but you don't know why. Programmers combine theory and practice: Nothing works and they don't know why."