Extremely slow start

This is a place for users to discuss Altap Salamander. Please feel free to ask, answer questions, and express your opinion. Please do not post problems, bug reports or feature requests here.
Wolf

Extremely slow start

Post by Wolf »

I added 10 programs to the "User menu" with a bad side effect. After I restart my PC, the first start of Salamander takes now between 30 and 60 seconds, I think that this is related to Microsoft Security Essentials.

Then I tried to replace the program icons with a dummy icon and the speed went back to normal. Seems that Salamander extracts the icons at startup what causes this delay because MSE verifies these EXE files.

I would suggest to save these icons in the registry, then Salamander and the startup speed is not dependent from icon extraction and a huge slow down caused by MSE.
Ether

Re: Extremely slow start

Post by Ether »

I wouldn't recommend saving any icons into the registry. Instead, the system icon cache should take care of it. Anyway, you should complain to Microsoft, too, as it is their product that caused the slowdown.
Ελληνικά rulez.
Wolf

Post by Wolf »

I wouldn't recommend saving any icons into the registry.
why not?
Anyway, you should complain to Microsoft, too, as it is their product that caused the slowdown.
I already did this months ago since we had the same problem with our own applications. Our customers complained and now we use our own icon cache what fully fixes that problem. Also other virus scanners can cause such a slow down.
Ether

Post by Ether »

Wolf wrote:why not?
Because Windows registry is not suitable for saving binary data. And because Windows has a built-in icon cache ('the Shell normally attempts to load the icon from its cache', from MSDN: Creating Icon Handlers; I couldn't find anything more informative).
Ελληνικά rulez.
Wolf

Post by Wolf »

You can save it everywhere you want, even in the registry, Icons converted to B64 are not that large. I just wanted to point out a bottleneck, not a strong request to save it at a certain place. The registry was just an example because Sal stores many things in the registry, but you can also use XML, single files or whatsoever. And you must not mention the icon cache again, you already did it twice. We are now aware of that, but technical decisions should be made by the experts of Altap.

I know how to avoid it here on my PC to reduce a starting time from 60 seconds to 1-2 seconds, I just posted that such a slow down can happen for MSE users.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

I hope MS will fix this problem. Thank you for reporting it.