Is Salamander dead?

This is a place for users to discuss Altap Salamander. Please feel free to ask, answer questions, and express your opinion. Please do not post problems, bug reports or feature requests here.
Raptor

Re: Is Salamander dead?

Post by Raptor »

tukanos wrote: 19 Apr 2019, 09:11 There is a simple update on the roadmap page (https://www.altap.cz/salamander/roadmap/):
Yes, it is, try to compare it with year 2011 and later :-)
https://web.archive.org/web/20120801000 ... r/roadmap/

They are still working on Unicode, UAC and Tabs. But none of this takes so many years.
Unicode announced in 2006!!! Still not even internal viewer is capable to display unicode files.

AS is dead. Deal with it.
tukanos

Post by tukanos »

Speciall question to "tukanos", because members as you are making developers feeling they still have good believers to not communicate
with the others. Please dont take me rude or anyting, but you are the element slowing down the push from others.....
I do believe actions speak louder than words. You can are free to interpret the silence any way you want as I'm. How can my opinion
slow down others in any way? They are free to have their opinion. On the Czech part of the forum I have posted (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5194&start=30#p67325)
rather complete list of alternatives users can select from. What have you done other than complaining?
You are absolutely right that developers are busy with the program changes, but do you thing that one sentence to the forum.. just to say.. guys we are working on it as we can and we are trying to bring something nice to you ... is so hard to write to the forum? It is just 5 seconds and everybody will be happy. But there is not answer to any question to anybody..
just confrontation from users like you who are attacking users like me who ask for update from developers. It is very simple to say to the community that something is happening, but it did not come for almost 5 months. That is sad.
Huh? Attacking, really? I do have a different opinion, if you consider that as an "attack" that is pretty sad.
I am with all of you to have this project alive, but I really needed to move forward and use another solution because UNICODE, UAC, TABS.. that is something I can not live without that anymore. And believe me.. since I am from the same country as developers, it is really sad to me. Also reason why I still return to see what is going on with the salamender.
Enjoy your other solution with which you are happy (maybe it is from my list?).

Raptor wrote: 23 Apr 2019, 21:53
tukanos wrote: 19 Apr 2019, 09:11 There is a simple update on the roadmap page (https://www.altap.cz/salamander/roadmap/):
Yes, it is, try to compare it with year 2011 and later :-)
https://web.archive.org/web/20120801000 ... r/roadmap/

They are still working on Unicode, UAC and Tabs. But none of this takes so many years.
Unicode announced in 2006!!! Still not even internal viewer is capable to display unicode files.

AS is dead. Deal with it.
I'm dealing with the slow development quite fine. On one hand I would love to see new version with the features on the other hand
as a programmer I know such low-level development takes time. The MSDN documentation is full of bugs and it is also incomplete so
I understand that such development takes time. As for Unicode, I remember that the developers started to work on it about year ago.
Since I have done some C programming where I had to switch from ascii functions to unicode versions so I know how much work it is. It is not just copy & paste of some unicode functions. They usually behave differently, return different values, etc.

From the web.archive I see that they wanted to have it in the future versions and from the list they have done what they have written there in the version 3.x.
omega

Post by omega »

I have requested unicode support around early 2006 i believe and to this very day still patiently waiting for it without ever complaining even once. Other requests and bugfixes had higher priorities among the users so unicode was put in the freezer. Obviously I was thrilled when the developers announced working on it 2 years ago if i'm not mistaken about the date. For years i have been using the Sal + Win Expl combination as workaround while others might have switched to other alternatives. I remain optimistic and trust they are working on it.
orhor

Post by orhor »

Same here, when I started to use Salamnder, I had nice smooth face. Now my kids start to shave :) And unicode?
Who knows, maybe developers decided to skip the epoch and work hard implementing unicode successor in order not to miss the train again and again and again ;)
orhor

Post by orhor »

Now seriously, I think the only serious and sanity-full solution would be to open-source the project.
rollhigh

Post by rollhigh »

orhor wrote: 01 May 2019, 10:12 Now seriously, I think the only serious and sanity-full solution would be to open-source the project.
I doubt that will ever happen...

However I wouldn't mind an update from the DEV team, are you guys still alive and OK?
Hadez

Post by Hadez »

rollhigh wrote: 07 May 2019, 11:43
orhor wrote: 01 May 2019, 10:12 Now seriously, I think the only serious and sanity-full solution would be to open-source the project.
I doubt that will ever happen...

However I wouldn't mind an update from the DEV team, are you guys still alive and OK?
Same question here, do you guys need any help? My father brought me to Salamander in the 1.xx era (when I was a little boy) and we've been loyal users ever since. (2.0 was a blast!) I even helped to fix it on Linux ... well, 4 years ago now: https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=37539

Personally, I don't care about tabs, I don't need UAC and I don't have a HiDPI screen. Back then I didn't care about x64.
1. I can run another Salamander if I need to work in multiple places. Or there are hot paths, history...
2. What's so hard about running a new instance of Salamander with higher privileges?
3. In these forums, a fellow user has shown how to configure the system to at least scale Salamander evenly. I like the classic icons and the current, polished look.

I would still love to see Unicode and then the product is complete to me. Can you devs please just tell us you're there?

Open-sourcing is only an option if Salamander were to die (given the current business model, which I doubt would change). I don't want it to die. But if it does, let's hope the community can get the sources - I guess there would be more frequent updates and not as stable as Altap's work (though there are tests and CI and experienced users-developers to help with stability) but at least we would know something is happening (or not).

If we look around, even Microsoft is releasing lots of code today and shepherding their projects (VS Code, .NET Core)... There are also hybrid approaches (GitLab, Saxon): open-source core, commercial enterprise functions (sometimes in the same open code base). Let us get inspired.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Hi, Thank you for nice post. We are alive and okay. We will post update, please give us some time.
omega

Post by omega »

Thanks Jan, i have a feeling this year we could get a new release ;)
WaldemarH

Post by WaldemarH »

Hi Jan

The problem is only that we are panicking as there is no info on one of the best tools we use and we REALLLY don't want it to die. :D

Please do the payable 4-th version so that you'll get some money into the firm and then do a yearly payable license upgrades as
for example TheBat which is a really good product too i.e. if people want to upgrade they do, if they don't want then they stay on previous
version without any nagging from the program (i.e. no pushing it with subscription model).
At least for me I can say that I sooner or later I buy every new version and support them... 20 eur per year is not something big.. it's not even a good round of drinks in a bar.

So we understand that we all got to eat and product like salamander deserves good feed workers!

Keep up the magic work.
Waldemar
Raptor

Post by Raptor »

They sold AS to another comapny.

Info only in Czech for now.
https://www.lupa.cz/aktuality/legendarn ... -majitele/
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

We will publish more information in coming days.
WaldemarH

Post by WaldemarH »

Hopefully they will invest into it.
omega

Post by omega »

Well after waiting all these years for unicode, just to be disappointed by the news that the company being sold in the end. The new owner apparently is a civil engineering software company which obviously has a different core business than Altap. I wonder if Jan and Petr will be joining the company and continue the development of Salamander. Guess we will find out soon about the fate of this great tool.
rollhigh

Post by rollhigh »

I've used this great tool for over a decade, quite sad for my ever-enduring optimism to die like this. I seriously doubt a construction firm as any interest in developing a file manager! :evil: