Windows 7 and Salamander - Feedback?

This is a place for users to discuss Altap Salamander. Please feel free to ask, answer questions, and express your opinion. Please do not post problems, bug reports or feature requests here.
dcarpenter97

Windows 7 and Salamander - Feedback?

Post by dcarpenter97 »

I am interested in moving from XP Pro to Windows 7 Pro, and I'm wondering how Salamander is working for everyone under Windows 7? Any issues or loss of functionality? I have relied heavily on Salamander for over seven years, and won't make the move to 7 without it!

Thanks for your input! :D
Ether

Re: Windows 7 and Salamander - Feedback?

Post by Ether »

I haven't noticed any problems when compared to running on Vista. If you talk about coming from XP and you make changes to system directories, you can encounter UAC, but that can be overcome by running Salamander 'as administrator' when needed (Linux admins do it all the time).
Ελληνικά rulez.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

We will try to get "Compatible with Windows 7" logo for Altap Salamander.
See Windows 7 Software Logo Program.

We tried AS 2.52 yesterday (with Windows 7 Software Logo Toolkit) and it passed with some minor issues.
vld

Post by vld »

Salamander is 100000000% better then that piece of crap Explorer within W7. I've been using Salamander without any problems.
daern

Post by daern »

No issues here, apart from the normal ones caused by running AS under x86_64 Windows.
Win 7 Enterprise RTM 64 bit
Rane

Post by Rane »

ether wrote:.. If .. coming from XP and you make changes to system directories, you can encounter UAC, but that can be overcome by running Salamander 'as administrator' when needed (Linux admins do it all the time).
what kind of changes? what about installing programs usually into a custom directory name (almost never use default)?
what is UAC?
is logging in under an admin account the only way to overcome?

thanks.
Salamander should be purchased by Windows to replace Explorer. Especially with File Renamer and PictView (for NEF/raw images and psd photoshop images) !!
ONly mod Altap'd need is the ability to display/sort additional "Detail" columns such as "date photo taken", "dimensions", and other xmp data.
fh

Post by fh »

There is an issue in Windows 7 if you will be using faster Gigabit Ethernet:
http://forum.altap.cz/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3366
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

fh wrote:There is an issue in Windows 7 if you will be using faster Gigabit Ethernet:
http://forum.altap.cz/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3366
This performance issue is related also to Windows Vista (both 32-bit and 64-bit). We plan to fix it.
Ether

Post by Ether »

Rane wrote:what about installing programs usually into a custom directory name (almost never use default)?
First of all, installing programs has nothing to do with Salamander, as soon as you run the installer, Windows should take care of all the details. Generally, installing applications into custom directories (like on Desktop, in your Documents folder, on a non-system disk) doesn't require admin priveleges.
Rane wrote:what kind of changes?
Mostly system changes - deleting files belonging to Windows, changing system-wide settings in the registry and such.
Rane wrote:what is UAC?
Rane wrote:is logging in under an admin account the only way to overcome?
User Account Control, introduced in Windows Vista, is an underlying technology for separating your work into administrative and non-administrative tasks and creating a way for you to seamlessly switch between these two to achieve a compromise between security and comfort. Most of the people using Windows encounter only the infamous Elevation prompts which allow you to grant admin privileges to a program. I suggest you read more on Wikipedia, if you want to know more.
Ελληνικά rulez.