Altap Salamander 2.52

This is a place for users to discuss Altap Salamander. Please feel free to ask, answer questions, and express your opinion. Please do not post problems, bug reports or feature requests here.
vld

Altap Salamander 2.52

Post by vld »

When will Beta 2 be released? I kept reading it was going to released soon....but haven't seen it.
SelfMan

Re: Altap Salamander 2.52

Post by SelfMan »

When its done :-)
Don't worry pre-testing is in progress.
vld

Post by vld »

SelfMan wrote:Don't worry pre-testing is in progress.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 3 months for 1 beta x 3-4 betas. :roll: Perfection is one thing, but I sure like to get on to Beta 2. :x Beta 1 of off my system already and back on 2.51
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

vld wrote:When will Beta 2 be released? I kept reading it was going to released soon....but haven't seen it.
We plan to release 2.52 beta 2 soon, I will let you know.
vld

Post by vld »

Jan Rysavy wrote:
vld wrote:When will Beta 2 be released? I kept reading it was going to released soon....but haven't seen it.
We plan to release 2.52 beta 2 soon, I will let you know.
Jan, that's why I opened this topic. All I kept reading was "The problem has been fix, expect the next beta soon", "Beta 2 will be released soon"....release it already. If you don't want to release a full beta, then release the updates via download and call it beta 2. It's not like beta 2 will not have any bugs...heck, 2.51 had bugs which I was told you fixed and NEVER received updates. I see no reason to drag on a beta for this long. :?
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

We need to finish the work we are working on: support for explicit TLS/SSL FTP (FTPES with AUTH TLS) using OpenSSL, support for FTP MODE Z (using ZLIB) and Password Manager with strong AES encryption for FTP and WinSCP passwords. We also did one nice improvement in 2.52 beta 2 (and for further versions): backward compatibility for plugins from version 2.5 and 2.51.

Then we will release 2.52 beta 2 and we are strongly considering also final version 2.52.
Screenshot from new Password Manager (note: texts are wip)
Screenshot from new Password Manager (note: texts are wip)
security.png (54.11 KiB) Viewed 10547 times
vld

Post by vld »

I understand there is stuff to be finished, but that did not stop you from releasing a next beta for 2.51...remember, FTP and HELP were still in progress. All I am saying is that 2.52 Beta2 will not be perfect. If you have a lot of reported bugs fixed, release Beta 2. When you are finished with what you are working on, release it as an update, wait a few weeks and then release the next Beta. Waiting 3-4-5 months between Betas is really stretching it, and please don't tell me about perfection as I have been Beta testing for a long time and can rip any software apart and make it extremely buggy. This is your software and your pride. I am back on 2.51 since I don't like a patched beta (not sure if I got all updates) and the nagging Beta information banner. If others are like me and change OS then see issues and work is still in progress, you may loose customers.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Yes, we did major upgrade in our building process so we will be able to release beta versions (also final versions) more often from now. Mentioned backward plugin compatibility will be huge help for independent plugin authors.
paul hofseth

Post by paul hofseth »

I appreciate improvements, matching to the vagaries of new versions of MS (and eventually a version that replaced MC in Linux), but would like to remind everyone that Salamander is still eminently fast, stable and useful. I would rather have less frequent new versions than unstable versions.

p.
vld

Post by vld »

Is there an ETA on the next Beta yet?