ENA format specification, decryption w/o Servant Salamander?

This is a place for users to discuss Altap Salamander. Please feel free to ask, answer questions, and express your opinion. Please do not post problems, bug reports or feature requests here.
Klettermaxe

ENA format specification, decryption w/o Servant Salamander?

Post by Klettermaxe »

The tooltip for the 'encrypt'-plugin on http://www.altap.cz/download.html tells me, that the format specification for the .ENA-format is available.

Could someone tell me, where I can find this specification? A first Google-search was not successful.

Furthermore I would like to know, if there is a third-party freeware tool that provides decryption of archives made with the SS-encryption plugin. This would make it possible to email those archives to people who don't work with SS (although it's hard to believe that a Windows-user can exist even a single day without the manifold benefits of Servant Salamander).
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

I'm sorry, but the specification is not finished yet (we have it in Czech version only, very unpolished).

There doesn't exist other tool with support for the ENA format. We can provide such small utility, but there wasn't demand until today...
Klettermaxe

ENA decryption utility

Post by Klettermaxe »

Jan Rysavy wrote:There doesn't exist other tool with support for the ENA format. We can provide such small utility, but there wasn't demand until today...
Hi Jan, thanks for your answer!

There will be far more important tasks for you than providing a stand-alone-tool for ENA-decryption. This is not a feature request, but if you have the time once it might be a good idea to release even a simple command line utility for this purpose. In my opinion this could increase the use the encryption-plugin. In this case it would be possible (e. g.) to encrypt all the files on a CD that you want to send by snail-mail and offer an decryption utility on the same CD (password or key file via e-mail). I know that there are already tools that will do this, but in this case it would be one simple step and simplicity makes people use a function.

Besides the strong encryption one major advantage of the ENA-encryption is the fact that you cannot even have a look at the archive content without the password or the key file. You can of course achieve a similar result with other packers too by packing an archive, but this is one step more.

:D If there were an academy award for file-managing-software, I would vote for Servant Salamander in all categories:
- best overall functionality
- highest performance
- best user interface

Best wishes
KNUT

Post by KNUT »

Jan Rysavy wrote:We can provide such small utility, but there wasn't demand until today...
Here we are :D And here's the demand... :wink: Such a tool would be very nice!
Kind regards, KNUT

Post by Guest »

I'd also love to have such a small tool, maybe the encryption-plugin can gererate an executable like the zip-plugin (weak encryption)... would make mailing encrypted files very easy!

Post by Guest »

I also strongly support this request for a standalone tool to decrypt .ena archive, to be used with and without SS.

Thank in advance
ghost

Standalone decryption tool for Ena files

Post by ghost »

I support whole-heartedly
mycetes

Standalone ENA decoder

Post by mycetes »

Please, either make ENA files self-decrypting EXE files or advise where a standalone ENA decrypter may be found. I like the tool very much.
owilsky

Post by owilsky »

I also would like to have such an app.
I would like to encrypt my files on an USB stick, but without Salamander on the target computer I cannot decrypt these files.
Oliver Kötter