Is Salamander dead ?

This is a place for users to discuss Altap Salamander. Please feel free to ask, answer questions, and express your opinion. Please do not post problems, bug reports or feature requests here.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Please wait a few days for AS 2.52 beta 1 before we will talk about incorporated functions. There will be detailed change log included.

Edit:
Regarding Windows 7: do you know you can exclude particular application from UAC prompts? (Just temporary solution before Salamander will support UAC.)

I'm using Salamander on Windows Vista 64b without problem, because all shell extensions I have are 32b and I only rarely need to write into C:\Program Files (x86) (etc) directory. But we understand UAC support is needed.
roman2

Post by roman2 »

nanuit wrote: But at least when Windows7 is released i have to change this to "was" the best OFM, since it has so many shortcommings that i am forced to abandone AS. As much as it hurts me but using AS on a 64 bit Windows ist not useable.
There's a 32 bit version of Windows 7, isn't there?

I use Salamander on 32 bit Vista and find it working very well. What is it about Window 7 that makes Salamander so "bad"?
nanuit

Post by nanuit »

roman2 wrote: There's a 32 bit version of Windows 7, isn't there?

I use Salamander on 32 bit Vista and find it working very well. What is it about Window 7 that makes Salamander so "bad"?
Yes of course, i can always install a Operation System that doesn't support all of my hardware.

Just try Salamander on a 64 Bit Platform (it doesn't matter if it's XP, Vista or Windows 7) before issuing such statements. Then you can talk with the grown ups.
Tomas Kopal
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Tomas Kopal »

nanuit wrote:Then you can talk with the grown ups.
Please stop being offensive on our forum, especially to other users who are trying to help. Such behavior will not be tolerated.
roman2

Post by roman2 »

nanuit wrote:Yes of course, i can always install a Operation System that doesn't support all of my hardware.
Because I haven't encountered a piece of hardware that requires 64 bit support, would you tell me which one or two you use that do? I am not saying there isn't one. I would just like to know. I hope you will be able to sacrifice a minute or two of your adult life to enlighten a child :)
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

More than 3.5GB RAM available for applications, for example. Big seller for graphic designers, gamers, scientists, IT pros, ...
nanuit

Post by nanuit »

roman2 wrote: Because I haven't encountered a piece of hardware that requires 64 bit support, would you tell me which one or two you use that do? I am not saying there isn't one. I would just like to know. I hope you will be able to sacrifice a minute or two of your adult life to enlighten a child :)
Try memory more than 4 GB.
nanuit

Post by nanuit »

Tomas Kopal wrote:
nanuit wrote:Then you can talk with the grown ups.
Please stop being offensive on our forum, especially to other users who are trying to help. Such behavior will not be tolerated.
Offensive? Try to help? With this kind of answer?

When i ask in a health forum that i have problems breathing when i work out an the answer is: don't work out .. That is offensive.

But it fits: the software and the forum are run with the same kind of support. As sad as it is i really have to change the File-Manager. Salamander is no longer supported, at least not with a quality i regard as necessary for a tool i bought.

The main reasons:

1. No Information about enhancements:

Is it so hard to publish a short list of changes? The given one are about a year old and even for them i don't get any confirmations from the developers. No request in this forum for new information is answered (i regard "soon" or "wait for the changes list" not as answer.

2. Other FM have the same functionality with a lot of enhancements:

They are not so easy to use as salamander, the main reason i havent changed the FM until now, but now the shortcomings of salamander outweigh the benefits and with now information about future enhancement the tool is no longer useable for me

Don't misunderstand me, how Altap handles their application is their thing. I don't want to tell them how to handle their product, only that in their way i have to part from this tool after using it for years.

So have fun with your FM.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

nanuit wrote:1. No Information about enhancements:

Is it so hard to publish a short list of changes? The given one are about a year old and even for them i don't get any confirmations from the developers. No request in this forum for new information is answered (i regard "soon" or "wait for the changes list" not as answer.
If you will wait a few days, change list (in English) will be released with Altap Salamander 2.52 beta 1. I'm working on the translation just now. It is definitely not short.
mANY

Post by mANY »

Jan Rysavy wrote:If you will wait a few days...
This is what you have said for months already :-(
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

We postponed release for the reason (new bug fixes, new features).
Now it looks really promising.
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

Jan Rysavy wrote:We postponed release for the reason (new bug fixes, new features).
Now it looks really promising.
I didnt receive any words for answer, so i take it as a yes and the bet is on ;)

So many others can relax and a date is set. Good to hear that there will be
after a lot complaints finaly a upcomming changelog at least.

Offtopic:
For thoose who have hope in windows7, give up its trash ^^
I saw Chaitanya Sareen's M$ presentation and was invited to test it.
Good thing that there is Servant Salamander (i still dont like it to call altap salamander). Your eyes will go nuts using windows7 without any classic theme.

Greets :lol:
roman2

Post by roman2 »

Alfred wrote: Offtopic:
First of all, it's Windows 7, not Windows7. Secondly, many people have reported that Windows 7, at beta stage, has better performance than Windows XP, and it's very convenient to use.
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

roman2 wrote:
Alfred wrote: Offtopic:
First of all, it's Windows 7, not Windows7. Secondly, many people have reported that Windows 7, at beta stage, has better performance than Windows XP, and it's very convenient to use.
ROFLMAO
Ether

Post by Ether »

Alfred wrote:ROFLMAO
Don't ROFLMAO us, Windows 7 (beta!) may be unusable at the moment, because of the glitches, but it's much better conceptually than Vista and has potential to become _the_ XP's successor.
Ελληνικά rulez.