How do I copy files from many directories to one directory?

This is a place for users to discuss Altap Salamander. Please feel free to ask, answer questions, and express your opinion. Please do not post problems, bug reports or feature requests here.
James

How do I copy files from many directories to one directory?

Post by James »

Altap Forum,

I'm trying to copy many files (from many directories) to one directory. After I use the Altap find command to locate all the files, I highlight the files presented by "find" then cut and paste to the new directory. To my surprise, the files are written to the new directory with the full path of the file. I do not want the full path. I want all of the files in the new directory, without any sub-directories included. Can Salamander do this? Windows Explorer does does this, but it cannot handle large numbers of files. How can I do this with Salamander?

For example:

I have tens of thousands of music files, in hundreds of directories. I want to put all the music files in one directory. How can I make Salamander do this?

Thanks,

James
ino

Re: How do I copy files from many directories to one directory?

Post by ino »

James wrote:Altap Forum,

I'm trying to copy many files (from many directories) to one directory. After I use the Altap find command to locate all the files, I highlight the files presented by "find" then cut and paste to the new directory. To my surprise, the files are written to the new directory with the full path of the file. I do not want the full path. I want all of the files in the new directory, without any sub-directories included. Can Salamander do this? Windows Explorer does does this, but it cannot handle large numbers of files. How can I do this with Salamander?

For example:

I have tens of thousands of music files, in hundreds of directories. I want to put all the music files in one directory. How can I make Salamander do this?

Thanks,

James
James,
there is a trick to do that with the Renamer plugin. Check out this thread: How to copy all files from subfolders into one folder?.
And welcome on this forum ;-)
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Hi James, the Find files->Select->Copy->Paste works forks for me. Files are copied/merged into the destination directory.

You can also use the Batch Rename command: http://forum.altap.cz/viewtopic.php?t=869
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Ooops :)
ino

Post by ino »

Jan Rysavy wrote:Ooops :)

One second earlier :-D