(My) problem with the FTP client and multiple connections

This is a place for users to discuss Altap Salamander. Please feel free to ask, answer questions, and express your opinion. Please do not post problems, bug reports or feature requests here.
tronicIO

(My) problem with the FTP client and multiple connections

Post by tronicIO »

Hey folks,

i have a question for you:
every now and then I have to upload a large amount of small files (<2kb) to my webspace. Everytime I do that I have to wait for ages as the upload speed declines to a unsatisfying rates during that time. Now the most obvious thing to do would be to add a couple of connections, but when I do that the FTP Server bans me after a certain amount of time. To talk numbers: If have 3(!) simultaneous connections it lasts about 2 minutes before the server kicks me with the message "to many simultaneous logins (max 6)". What I don't understand is WHY! Why 6 if I only have 3 simultaneous connections. Does AS "connect-transfer-disconnect" or is there anything else I am missing?

Thanks for replying.

tronicIO

PS: I hope the General Discussion forum suites this thread?!
Petr Solin
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Petr Solin »

FTP control connections should stay opened (data connection is opened & closed for each file transfer, but this is how FTP works, it should not be a problem).

Please send me (petr.solin@altap.cz) FTP logs and I will be able to tell you what's happening. How to do it:
-(re)start Salamander (to clear all logs)
-reproduce problem with FTP (upload until error occurs, then cancel it)
-go to menu Plugins/FTP Client/Show Logs...
-in Logs window menu Log / Save All As...
Petr Solin
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Petr Solin »

Thanks for logs.

I think the problem is clear, but I'm not sure if I can solve it. FTP client tries to upload file, something gets wrong (I think on your network) and data connection cannot be opened (error WSAECONNREFUSED (10061) Connection refused - our client is trying to connect to IP+port provided by server in its PASV reply, it works for many times and then it fails for unknown reason). When data connection cannot be established, server is endlessly (more precisely there is long timeout) waiting for data connection, so FTP client closes control connection to inform server that something is wrong. But in this case, it seems that server do not receive information about closing connection and still thinks it is still open. So after couple of errors there are too many opened connections and server refuses to open any new. I believe the server recovers from this state (it finds out that old connections are closed), but it probably takes too long (e.g. 10 minutes). You can let FTP client to retry couple of minutes, I belive it will finish the work later.

You can try to change passive data connections to active, maybe it will be handled better by server (error will occur on its side, so it will probably react better). Clear Use passive transfer mode checkbox in Advanced Options: http://www.altap.cz/salam_en/help/ftp/d ... ectadv.htm

You can also try another FTP client, but I think this problem is on server side and all clients should have this problem. If you find some FTP client working well in these conditions, we may try to experiment, maybe we will find solution.
tronicIO

Post by tronicIO »

Active mode did the trick!
Thanks Petr for an amazingly fast reply and solution!!